Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Question for all

Status
Not open for further replies.

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So, I'm not a newbie domain'er but also I'm not a veteran either. I see that people in here state they are making xxx-x,xxx amount daily from PPC or I see people state they are making xxx-x,xxx daily from websites, etc... The thing is I just don't see that as the normal, am I missing something, am I missing the boat somehow or are you guys all making 100-200k a year. I know some of you have done it selling domains, I can see that in action but all the others with PPC stuff, I feel like I'm missing something. Please share with me if I don't mind, I'm admitting I don't know it all and I'm here to learn from those that can do it better. Maybe this thread will benefit others who feel the same but left the words unspoken. Thanks all for your contributions. Cheers,

Acro

Domain Days 2024

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here is my opinion (I am pretty much in the same boat as you):

1) There are dozens of millionaires on this forum, some post regularly, some do not. They either got into the domain game early on or found a niche or a system of monetizing names most others have not.

2) There are also dozens of members who claim to be very wealthy, saying they have names that make $xxx per day, when in reality that isn't the case. Remember, this is the internet and people will ALWAYS make stuff up to make themselves look good.

I think the key is to not worry about the numbers other members are posting. Worry about your own success (this is meant for everyone, not just acro) because at the end of the day, that is all that matters.

Hope that helps a wee little bit.

Cheers

acronym007

Thankful!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I echo your thoughts GT. Some of these peeps got in early. That is why I posted this, thinking of my success or the success of others newer to this industry, what can we do to make our portfolio's better, more productive, healthier financially, those sort of things. After reading many members posts I do believe I know some people, some of the real and some of the fake. Just hoping to learn somethings. Cheers,

Acro

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The ones who are making hundreds of dollars a day on PPC aren't on these forums talking about it. I'll admit I'm just as broke as the next guy but after 3+ years in domaining I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel. And I might add I can easily see how they could be making it.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If you plan on getting a legitimate traffic/revenue name then you better be prepared to pay for it or really work hard. Any knowledgeable person who has these domains has no incentive to give the name away for anything under 30-40 YEARS revenue....why would they?

In the last six months I have bought about 500 names through Snap names from anywhere from $60 to $2,000. Only two of those names gets over 50 Type-Ins per day. I routinely sell names for 1-4K from that list (to end-users...mostly).

I also bought over 1,800 names from a list at Expired Domains in the summer....I already made my money back and still have over 1,500 of those names.

You can also pay attention to Current Events. I am watching a show on television right now on CBS called Courting Alex. I bought <mod edit>please do not post your domains</mod edit> a while back.

Send out a few hundred emails to domain owners and try to get lucky. Make sure you have easy to use "For Sale" links on your parking pages.

STAY AWAY from buying traffic/revenue names that don't make sense. Warren Buffet became the second richest person in World History by buying 10 years earnings (that's 120 months)......you rarely hear of someone purchasing a traffic/revenue name and being pleasantly surprised after any length of time.

Study prices of names (sales prices; not asking prices). Look at thousands and thousands of sales prices in as many places as possible.

If you spend $1,200 for 20 names from Drops/Expired Name lists then all you have to do is sell one name for $1,200 and the rest is profit.

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
<mod edit> do not advertise for others</mod edit>

As for how? It all starts with incredible traffic...:(

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have been in the domain biz for roughly 18 months now, last year was an educational year for me and this year things are starting to look up allready traffic and revenue wise. A good thing to do is just stick at it, dont give up, dont take on to many projects at once, invest a little into your project but not too much that will hurt you if you fail.

Find a niche or even something thats big, a myspace site would be great to start with for earning revenue.

Im still a newbie in the domain business, even the knowledgeable people are newbies in a wat, sure they can make money but things are changing fast.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thing is if You have been in domain business in 3-5 years

You know all the bigger dnforum members "whois info" I mean when You see it in whois and You know what is his dnforum id. Then You know wich ones really make money and if a newbie comes to this forum saying he is making $100k in year from PPC and You really don`t know his info, then it really can`t be the case.

T

tekz999

WhoDatDog said:
Send out a few hundred emails to domain owners and try to get lucky. Make sure you have easy to use "For Sale" links on your parking pages.

This one worries me. :-O

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WhoDatDog said:
In the last six months I have bought about 500 names through Snap names from anywhere from $60 to $2,000. Only two of those names gets over 50 Type-Ins per day. I routinely sell names for 1-4K from that list (to end-users...mostly).

I also bought over 1,800 names from a list at Expired Domains in the summer....I already made my money back and still have over 1,500 of those names.

that is definately the case even with me.. I did got in very late after I let a good number of domains drop in 2000-1 when I was studying abroad... I've slowly built-up a domain portfolio which is like any investment I make...

a. some risky names (short-term potential)
b. some dev names (medium-term and require development)
c. some early speculation names (long-term investment)

i'm also buying from all drop services - can't say I'm reselling a $60 to $1K yeat but I can at the very minimum triple my initial investment... I too have a portfolio over 800 names right now and I'm broke even by selling less than 100 so far...

the difficult part for me is balancing out a real day job which pays for everything vs a hobby which makes me some extra cash which I re-invest anyway..

whatever you do good luck!!!

nitronet

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I believe there's only a handful of people in the world making several 1000's a day in PPC. Probably between 50-100.

As for being new in this business and succeeding, the cost of entry now is almost too high to become one of the above without spending a fortune.

I see new bidders at Snap and Pool come in and spend a fortune on crap and usually within a month or two, they are gone forever with another idiot taking their place.

I would recommend just taking it easy and being very careful on what you buy. There's no reason you can't make a nice living doing this and with the amount of real work involved, it's without a doubt the best job in the world.

maroulis

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nitronet said:
I believe there's only a handful of people in the world making several 1000's a day in PPC. Probably between 50-100.

that I seriously doubt....there's lots of people that make money of PPC not to the extent that it's been portrayed at DNF and certainly not by all the people here...

There are lot of legitimate businesses that have a wealth of content and make $$$$$ per day off PPC from AdSense/AdBrite/YPN and others....

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Goals are good. They can help you keep motivated, although it's hard when you don't see any $. It becomes a lot easier to be motivated when you start to see $ coming in.

My current goal is to be making 10k a month by June or July.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
JEsports said:
I too work a full time job and income from domains/websites is a nice extra piece on the side. I currently do not make enough profits from this to quit working, however I do make enough to pay off some things and have a few nicer things I otherwise could not. My suggestion is this:

1) Establish a clear goal. Come up with a certain amount of money you would need to make per day on domains/websites that would satisfy you. Use all the resources available to you to help you obtain this daily income goal.

Example ... If your goal is to make $25 per day on domains/websites, what will it take to get you there? Personally, I started my goal out at only $10 per day ($300/month roughly) and then increased it by another $10/day once my goal is met. My personal goal this year is to make $100/day.

2) Within a limited budget, utilize what you already have to the best of your ability. Do frequent research and ask yourself, "Am I making what I could be making from Domain A,B,or C?". Search Yahoo and Google keyword bids frequently. Compare them to what you are currently making in parking income. Determine if developing a website will increase your $ per click and possibly increase traffic from search engines. Do not spend a ton of money on acquiring additional domains until you are satisfied with what you are earning on your current domains.

Best of luck and may all your domains be profitable ;)

VERY good advice.

My goal for this year is the same as yours :)

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If you aren't making money then FORGET ABOUT PPC....for now. Put in the time and find great deals. You will sell a few for 500 times what you paid for it and then all you will need to do is invest your profits.

Think outside of the box without thinking too far outside of the box. Stick to areas that you really understand. The difference between Poker.com and Pokers.com is obvious to most, but sometimes it doesn't seem that way.

Just think of all the blog and podcast names you could have had if you were in-tune just a few years ago. Pay attention, and when you see the Tidal Wave about to hit then buy some names in that category.

Anyone who thinks that they missed out on all of the great names is way off-base. This party is just starting and there are deals on this board right now that could change your life forever.

The one way it won't happen is by offering to pay people 12 months revenue and then sitting back and becomming a billionaire.

Put together a list of great names and then type them in. Put a check-mark next to the names that don't have good links up...this could be a sign that the owner doesn't know what he/she has. Then, you make an offer, but don't offer $100 for a name that is worth 50K (they get offers all of the time and your email be be ignored). Offer enough to get a reply...then go from there.

Look for desperate sellers on this board.....people are always trying to raise money for various reasons, and they will let a name go if you are willing to fire some quick cash into their PayPal account.

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
$100 a day is a very attainable goal.
Your head would spin if you saw some of the adsense and yahoo.pub accounts I've recently seen. They are great motivators. Maybe some DNF members will post a few screenshots of their sick traffic and revenue stats to put some wind in your sails.

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ive been making a few dollars a day for a while, i just set up some sites that are bringing in $20 a day, thats good for me.

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As others have said, don't focus on the PPC. There are many others with deeper pockets and quicker wits than you (and me) at getting the best names. Not to say you won't find any good names, but in the past year i've snapped about 75 names at $60-$3,000 each. Of those names, 2 will earn back their cost in 12 months. The best of the two earned $50 in December, and will earn $7 in January. Go figure.

Develop, sell, or both.

Sell: Buy names, and then actively market them. It is true that great names will sell themselves, but ok names won&#8217;t. Buy a name, and then craft an email and send it to 100 people who are potential targets.

Develop: Buy a good name and develop it to either make you money month in or month out or to flip it. An $8 name with 10 pages of content that you paid $50 for can sell for $250 pretty easily, especially if you let it sit and get some pagerank (and all you need is one site with PR to give it out). Or, develop it into a real, long term site to make you lots of $$$.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
gmac17 said:
Develop: Buy a good name and develop it to either make you money month in or month out or to flip it. An $8 name with 10 pages of content that you paid $50 for can sell for $250 pretty easily, especially if you let it sit and get some pagerank (and all you need is one site with PR to give it out). Or, develop it into a real, long term site to make you lots of $$$.

That's pretty short term thinking...

Why not develop with good content and SEO, build up some links, give it a few months and put some well placed YPN or Adsense banners...poof, that's at least a few dollars per day.

I would rather take $2 per day ongoing than a $250 sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom