Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Question on legality of "offer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

domain_investor

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Scenario: Party A sends an email to Party B and says he'd be interested in purchasing a domain name for $X. Party B does not say yes. Party A subsequently discovers a trademark exists on the name and emails Party B and says sorry, can't buy it, there is a trademark on the name. Party B tells me that he didn't really want to do the deal anyway.

Then...the owner of the company of Party B, with a history being dishonest, must have sensed an opportunity to unload a trademarked name and just writes me and says that he accepts my formal offer and gives instructions on going to escrow.com and depositing the funds.

I normally would not post something here that seems like it has such an obvious answer, but since this company has a history of scam practices, I'm sure I'll get a threatening letter back. Just looking for the right thing to say back to end it so I don't waste too much time on it.

I'm Party A.

The way I see it, 1) even if I tell someone in email I'm interested in buying something for $X, I can't be forced to not change my mind. God knows people do it to me all the time.

2) The employee refused my offer, and then I also withdrew my offer (due to trademark) to the employee, before the owner "accepted" my offer. By the way, the employee does ALL the negotiating, to the point I wonder if there is really an owner.

danielg

Level 4
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
You are not bound since you wrote to them saying you were no longer interested. Ever walk into a car dealership and work out a deal and then something comes up about the car that you dont like? Color(s) thats in stock, packages/options..

I would love to see them come to your house and force the money out of your wallet...

My suggestion would be to just walk away and ignore them

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The offer was retracted before it was accepted. Hence, there was no live offer at the time of B's acceptance.

No contract.

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Common sense prevails. Not only was the offer retracted, there was never a contract. An offer I don't believe constitutes a formal agreement. In any case, I wouldn't waste a drop of sleep over it.

ChrissyBoi

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Common sense prevails. Not only was the offer retracted, there was never a contract. An offer I don't believe constitutes a formal agreement. In any case, I wouldn't waste a drop of sleep over it.

An offer would form one part of a formal agreement if it was accepted - but in isolation it means nothing.

A bit of a moot point of course, as Mr Berryhill is correct in his summation - as you would expect! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom