Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Questionable Domain Inquiry

Maggie Mae

Level 4
Reaction score
We received a domain inquiry from our registrar; the standard "we're required by ICANN regulations" to forward these requests ...." email.

The contact email for the interested party is an alpha-numeric+MYDOMAIN.Com@googlemail.com. Example of the email used:

sb.iwcme.pmnne5390+MYDOMAIN.Com@googlemail.com

I didn't think it wise to share the actual email used, but that is a similar email style used.

I have not replied. Curious if you have ever received an inquiry ... or seen anything like this?

TIA!

Domain summit 2024

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi
you're not telling us anything that would make the email questionable.

as in, did they make an offer?
or was the subject of the email threatening or something?

and...you didn't even mention the registrar

imo...

Maggie Mae

Level 4
Reaction score
Thanks, Biggie – I have no concern with my registrar or the email they sent; I've had excellent service with them for over a decade.

The contact email of the inquirer (sb.iwcme.pmnne5390+MYDOMAIN.Com@googlemail.com) is what I find questionable and more like a bot than the email of an actual interested party.

And the message from the inquirer reads:

"I would like to contact you regarding your domain and/or content on your website."

There is no active website with this particular domain – a person interested in buying the domain would know that.

Deleted member 322971123

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks, Biggie – I have no concern with my registrar or the email they sent; I've had excellent service with them for over a decade.

The contact email of the inquirer (sb.iwcme.pmnne5390+MYDOMAIN.Com@googlemail.com) is what I find questionable and more like a bot than the email of an actual interested party.

And the message from the inquirer reads:

"I would like to contact you regarding your domain and/or content on your website."

There is no active website with this particular domain – a person interested in buying the domain would know that.
Do your registrar has captcha thing on contact form . The wording look like a bot but it can be legitimate

Maggie Mae

Level 4
Reaction score
The
Do your registrar has captcha thing on contact form . The wording look like a bot but it can be legitimate

The email was from the registrar, passing along the inquiry's request and contact; I don't know how they screen them, but would assume they . The registrar does note that some can be spam. In the past, I've only received contact from legit interested buyers. Referencing a non-existent website just seems flaky.

This is also a domain we purchased with consideration to develop, so, not actively looking to sell it.

Maggie Mae

Level 4
Reaction score
Furgquan, I learned something new; I sent myself an inqury via the registrar and the standard message they send is the one I received. I thought the inquirer may didn't bother to see if the domain is active or not.

Still a little wary of the sender's email; I receive a lot of spam mail and they often use the long dotted email addresses.

Will think on it some more.

Thanks for your insight!

Anita

Level 4
Reaction score
Hi Maggie,

GoogleMail.com belongs to Google so it looks like an automated message to me.

regards,
Anita

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not unusual to see masked email inquiries regardless of the registrar. As long as you are savvy with a response to protect yourself against outside parties (Law firms/Corporations/M holders looking for evidence, phishers looking for registrant info - if private) you should be fine responding. Just force them to respond with their own info. Don't quote a price or desire to sell just yet. A simple: "I received this inquiry without context or contact information. Who is this?"

Maggie Mae

Level 4
Reaction score
It's not unusual to see masked email inquiries regardless of the registrar. As long as you are savvy with a response to protect yourself against outside parties (Law firms/Corporations/M holders looking for evidence, phishers looking for registrant info - if private) you should be fine responding. Just force them to respond with their own info. Don't quote a price or desire to sell just yet. A simple: "I received this inquiry without context or contact information. Who is this?"

Thank you very much, Chip; excellent info

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom