Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Questions for Attorneys- International lawsuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preoccupy

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Dear Attorneys out there,

I was getting ready for an international lawsuit. I prepared all documents and reported to a related authority.
I was ready to hire an attorney but I wasn't sure if I can hire an attorney here in my state or if I have to hire an attorney from that country or an international attorney.

If it was a domestic lawsuit, I can find out but since it is my first international lawsuit, I am asking for help.

If you know which attorney I should hire, please PM me or write a post below. I'm not in a hurry since I had reported to several authorities so you can take your time.

Best Regards,
Lamont :boom:

flybuzz

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Keep us updated with your case. I think it would help others Thanks.

Preoccupy

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Keep us updated with your case. I think it would help others Thanks.

Okay if I can, I'll start reporting on Monday .....:fencing:

Thank you for sending me PM, D?????? and F?????? !
I am also thinking about this very carefully. I will start reporting tomorrow and since this is an international lawsuit, it is very delicate. Thank you for your support. If anyone has more advice, I welcome PM.

Best Regards,
Lamont

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Depends on what type of case it is ... presumably it's domain name related involving TMs in one way or another.

Regardless of what it is, it's important to determine the jurisdiction the suit is filed in; is the potential judgement enforceable via international agreements, etc.

In general, it's often best, if funds allow, to hire an experienced attorney who is local (ie. in the U.S.) who has ties to and/or willing to work with an attorney in the foreign country where the suit has been filed. In short, hiring both a local and foreign attorney is often the way to go in such situations.

Again, since you don't give any details, I'm assuming it's domain / TM related ...

TMs are very territorial in nature and so it may be possible to get a suit thrown out (preferrable, since cost of fighting even when in the "right" can easily run 6+ figures fast), if you can show that your usage of the domain / TM is focused in another market, product, etc than that of the plaintiff.

Good luck.

Ron

p.s. be very wary of traveling abroad to fight the lawsuit, if you suspect there may be a criminal component to it; TM law can often involved both civil and criminal penalties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom