Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Rackshack offers $5 domain registration

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's a marketing tool. Since most domain holders will need webhosting at some point, and they're a large webhosting company, they're hoping to convert some of them into customers of the high margin products.

If they get 100,000 domain names in 1 year, that's a loss of maybe $150,000 (depending on their wholesale cost from their supplier). They can afford it, and consider it an advertising cost.

I imagine they're hoping that BuyDomains and UltSearch or other large domain holders don't move their domains there. ;) Could be an expensive issue then.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What the heck is with the "Tax" thing? I've seen some of this on foreign (non-us) regs, called a vat tax. Although they charged their country customers, I've never had to pay a tax. Is this just their way of hiding a markup?
Doc

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by diederik
I only know is Texas sale tax... no idea how it works though
If this is true and they are charging tax because of Texas State law, then they need to put their website somewhere else!

Charging TAX on domain names?? The whole concept SUCKS!

Finally the government has found a way to TAX the internet!

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's US$5.41 after tax, to be exact. I've been registering names since yesterday. :D And Robert Marsh, their CEO, actually mentioned that they might need to raise that price a bit if it goes way beyond 20,000 registrations a month. In other words, it's a promo stunt with a calculated budget of at least 50,000 per month. Nevetheless, it's good for individual consumers.

WebCat

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Lose the TAX! Lose the TAX!

Maybe it's time to have a "Boston Domain Party!

(NOTE for the historically-challenged: Just around the year 1775 a group of colonists protesting a tea tax imposed by King George, siezed and dumped tons of British tea into Boston Harbor!)

I hope they change this policy! :)
WebCat

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by WebCat
NOTE for the historically-challenged: Just around the year 1775 a group of colonists protesting a tea tax imposed by King George, siezed and dumped tons of British tea into Boston Harbor!
... and it was later dubbed the "Boston Tea Party". ;)

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd also be very careful about renewals. a $5 registration doesn't do much good if your renewal may be $25 and you forget or wait too long to transfer.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well.....

ev1 has business presence in almost all states of USA..

So why wouldnt they charge tax in those states?

Just my thoughts..

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom