Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

RACKSHACK - Sooooooooo Slow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlashRoot.Com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just reg'ed a domain with them about an hour ago, they have charged the creditcard, but the name still shows as available at the registry, as well as at RackShack. Yikes!

Does anyone know if RackShack registers domains in real time, or queues them and periodically submits them in a batch?

Are they usually this slow?

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They started having some major problems yesterday Shri. I tried regging a name and received a confirmation that the registration was successful. Then when I entered the account to change the nameservers it said there was no such name in the account! So I checked and it was still unregistered. Thinking I made a mistake, I did it all again and the exact same thing happened. Plus I noticed they charged my card TWICE for the same domain that was NEVER registered! I went over to Enom and promptly registered the name with no problem. Meanwhile I have demanded a refund from Rackshack who states on their site that they are not set up for refunds (which is a load of crap, all credit card merchants can do refunds).

SlashRoot.Com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke,

OpenSRS HAD a pre-announced scheduled maintenance showdown between Time: 0100 hrs - 0600 hrs UTC. All systems, as I can see from my reseller's interface at Tucows/OpenSRS have been functioning just fine since then.

I have a strong feeling that your domain(s) are still in a pending queue at RackShack. Considering that you already have it reg'ed elsewhere, their attempt(s) to reg would fail. They got to refund you at that time.

BTW, they did finally sent me an email just a few moments ago notifying me that they did reg that domain for me. I was about to give up on them and get it reg'ed elsewhere.

When I had contected RackShack's "live" support couple of times this morning, I was told they don't/can't help with domain registrations. I was asked to send an email instead. Go figure! If this kind of service is the norm at RS, I would be very skeptical of giving them my business in future.

Thank you, Duke for your help.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Shri. My attempts were not made during that scheduled maintenance period. Hopefully the refunds will not bve a hassle but now my emails to Rackshack support have been bounced back saying they have closed their mailbox!!

"Hi. This is the qmail-send program at server1.rackshack.com.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to deliver your message to the following addresses.
This is a permanent error; I've given up. Sorry it didn't work out.

<[email protected]>:
This address no longer accepts mail."

I wonder if they are getting ready to shut the whole thing down? Everyone knows they were losing money at $5 per reg and that it was just part of a marketing plan.

SlashRoot.Com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
<Note to self>
1. Refrain from pointing out again that Duke is sending his mails to a wrong domain.
2. Walk away from this PC
</note to self>

Walks away, smiling, making a fresh pot of cofffee. Coffee, anyone! :)

back...

can't resist..

fighting it...

Sorry, Duke, I can't keep this a secret anymore:

RackShack.Com is a toally different animal. Email them only if you wanna: Go Bananas Kayaks.

I was asked to send an email to: [email protected]

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Additional proof that .nets lose a ton of their traffic and even email to the .com (and one reason I rarely reg a .net anymore!) :-D

They were using [email protected] (I did put .com on the 2nd mail which explains that problem). I just got a note form them using [email protected].

They tried to tell me the two reg attempts were cancelled becuase the domain was not available. I just wrote back to them and pointed out that it only became unavailable AFTER I had to go somewhere else to register it. More importantly, they have NOT refunded the charges on my credit card for the two faield attempts they made.

SlashRoot.Com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
A lot of doman name resellers do not submit registration requests in real-time to prevent fraud. It is common in this industry to bill first, and register later. If it turns out that the name is not available, people refund the money.

If they are telling you they would not refund you money because the registrations failed, either they are nuts, or whatever they are smoking must be real good.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have never had that problem at Rackshack before. I have registered over 100 domains there previously and all were registered instantly with no problem at all. Hopefully whatever happened yesterday will turn out to be a one time glitch.

Secure.Name

Level 3
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
(OT) - And on top of everything, I can't reg .org names anymore?!? Shows only .com/.net/.biz/.info/.us...

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom