Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Rant! I just lost a domain registering race :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

mambo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Baaah now im Monday morning grumpy, i just lost the race for taxi.no

Checked his whois, atleast he is in the taxi buisness so i guess its an honourable loss.

But what a shame, my registrar is to slow, maybee ill start my own :p

And another funny thing, lol, it dropped on saturday, and on sunday the NORID registry is closed lol, so i bet there were loads of applications for it anyways. :sigh2:

Domain Days 2024

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I guess it is good for the .no registry to match domains with end users. Not implying anything.

mambo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well, in Norway people tend to strech the rules when it commes to .no registration.

I would develop a legit service for it, while he will stick it on sedo, just a co-insidence that he was checking the taxi.no domain.

In norway we can see all the domain names an entity has registered on his company, and from his whois i can see he has domains all over the place, so he is no better than me :)

But, it would be funny if NORID would pick seemingly more appropriate new owners wouldnt it. Right now i think its decided by the timestamp on the verification fax.

Kind regards,

Chris

typist

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
well, in Norway people tend to strech the rules when it commes to .no registration.

in what way, if I may ask? I own a couple of .no domain myself.

cheers,
Mathias

mambo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, when NORID started, they tried to bring in a couple of rules to avoid the madness that happened to .com/.net/.org

From the rules of NORID: (http://www.norid.no/regelverk/index.en.html)

To register and hold a domain name under .no you need to:

- have a local presence in Norway
- be an organization, currently this is defined as certain organization types registered in the Brønnøysund Register Centre
- each domain name holder may have up to 20 domain names directly under .no. In addition one may register domain names under geographical or generic subdomains. (Read that: http://www.norid.no/regelverk/rammer/regelverksmodeller.en.html)

We had a brilliant case of an domainer selling googles at google.no for some years, when Google came along he had really no chance, and this guy put up a real fight.

But from my view, the .no enviroment is free-for-all, unless you one day register that domain name witch someone will fight for, and domainers in Norway wont win in trials i think.

For instance, taxi.no is a pretty generic term, but if Norways Taxi Association were to go for the name, they might just win over a domainer (by an act we of "truthfull ownership"). Thoose are my thoughts though, i have no experience in trials.

Edit:

I havent answered you question have i, lol sorry:

- People abuse the system really easely, because, the policy says you need to own a company yourself, and be located in norway to host domains, that effectivly means that if you company name is ABC-Vehicle Repairs, you really shouldnt register sex.no or wwwvg.no ...
That is bending the rules in my mind..

Kind regards,

Chris

typist

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thank you for the detailed answer!

I actually have some experience with NORID disputes...

The "google" domain guy may not have been so brilliant after all, or at least he was dyslexic: what he claimed he was selling should have been spelled "goggle" (not "google").

As for the 20 domains rule - there's always Karl-Oskar Fosshaug, who had registered 90 (!) non-profit organisations last time someone bothered to count, just to be able to register the allotted 20 domains per foundation ( 20 x 90 = 1800 ...) http://itpro.no/art/8935.html

vennlig hilsen fra Hanoi,
Mathias

mambo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow thanks for your experience, some good reading there.

Tipper det ikke er minus grader i Hanoi ennå?

Mvh

Christian :)

typist

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nei, det er såvidt det kommer sne ca hvert tiende år lengst nord i Vietnam, på grensen til Kina. I natt er det meldt 9 grader i Hanoi - kaldere enn det blir det sjelden. Da går folk i boblejakke og med luer og votter - og det føles tross alt kaldt sammenliknet med sommervarmen her..

mambo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://www.norid.no/domenekonflikter/klagearkiv/wideroe.html , leste igjennom saken nå, hmm, det der endte nok ikke som jeg hadde trudd, at panelet aviser på det "sterkeste" er jo morsomt lesestoff.

Anyways, i have a feeling there is a rule about talking only English here, so merry christmas, and please ship some good cooking to your Norwegian Vikings Friends :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom