Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Re: Communicating with Domain name owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeffreyL

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have located a few hundred domain names that contain a keyword I think may make the owners potential buyers for a domain name I own.

I know Adam suggested Whois Extractor to get there email addresses.

My question. Is it OK to email them about the domain name I have for sale?
Is there anything I have to do to make sure these communication don't come across as spam?

I know this is a touchy subject (spam) and just want to make sure I am OK doing this before moving forward.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards
Jeff

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyway you phrase it, unsolicited emails selling something come across as spam.

I delete almost every single email my spaminator doesnt catch first, if it is any kind of solicitation.

And if any of your names even as much as slightly appear to resemble a trademark, you may be setting up for a lost wipo.

I am thinking, and anyone here may correct me if I am wrong, it might be better to just setup a spam email for your AbodeDomains, and suggest some names there may be desirable for 'said firm', send it once, never again. If it hits the right person and they are interested then success. If not you may have to wait until they find you.

jm2c

JeffreyL

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Now I am a tad confused... Doesn't Adam suggest doing what I suggested. Feedback please as I want to make sure I am doing the right thing.
Would be great if Adam could comment on this as I am sure it's very important.

Also, for me, if I go this route I only want to target certain companies who I think may be interested in the domain name I am selling. That is I will
source these domain owners based on a keyword that they have in there domain. That way when communicating I can quote there domain name
and draw attention to the fact that the domain that is for sale also contains the keyword. At least this would sound like I was communicating to
them individually.

If this is not going to be OK (think I need to hear from Adam) then I could snail-mail or fax them... we shall see.

Thanks for your take on this Mark.

Update:
I just checked http://www.domainsherpa.com/how-to-sell-a-domain-name/#transcript (also see comments after transcript)

Quote from Adam:
That was not meant to encourage people to send out 16,000+ emails, it was just meant as a guide so people would have one way to find parties that would possible be interested in buying their domains. I would personally try 50 and see if you get any responses to start. Definitely have an unsubscribe link and adhere to the rules of the CAN-SPAM Act.`

Jeff

Last edited:

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it would be ok on an individual basis but you are planning on mass mailing 1000's or even 100's of people, thats bad.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes and that is what I was attempting to elude to.

I agree with Jeff's quoted text, I have read that also, and I agree with DomainsInc.

But ALL outbound unsolicited emails need to be carefully constructed to include compliance to the CAN-SPAM Act. Full Compliance is professional.

JeffreyL

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just emailed AtomPark (makers of software Adam suggests) and asked if I could personalize and send
out 70 per week until all email had been sent. I have about 300 potentials so would take about a
month... but that's not a problem as I will also do some other promotions.

I am looking at this like selling a unit. You need to full marketing plan. I am thinking of:

* SEO (I already have web site)
* Press release
* email marketing
* Marketing with postcards
* PPV
* Snail mail BIG companies
* Phone marketing if I could outsource (unsure... but nothing wrong with testing)

Of course you would want to know the domain had value, and the interest the marketing campaign provided
would create some competitive bidding. Note: I have an auction set up on my domain names web site.

Anyway, that's the plan.

p.s. Any other marketing suggestions would be most appreciated.

Regards
Jeff

Last edited:

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Like what you have setup. I have never used the emailer software assuming you are sending them through your own server.

Verify and test that your Reverse DNS and MX keys are properly configured to make sure your emails dont get blackholed by the likes of the recipients server, gmail, hotmail, and the likes. Otherwise some of your recipients own ISP will blackhole them and the intended recipient will not even get a chance to call it spam.

I have about 4 settings in my dns records to cover what works for me on my ho-sting (edited to remove dnf skimlink spam)solution. This has to be configured seperatly for hotmail, gmail, aol, yahoo, and your own pop account if you use it. If you dont have any of those accounts, get a free one for test. Saves alot of grief in the end.

I learned this the hard way a few years ago when I discovered how many different people on some of my websites never ever got my emails targeted to them at their request. Even my wife using a pop on my own server was getting my emails in the spam box.

Just because it gets through to you, or maybe aol accounts, doesnt mean it will get through comcast or road runner or hotmail accounts. See what I mean?

Last edited:

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
BIG thanks... that is all something I need to look into.

No problem as actually getting to your target audience IS a big marketing technical issue many webmasters dont even think is a problem till it bites them.
And when it does, they may not even feel the sting till it is pointed out to them.

JeffreyL

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Thought I would share. See: http://cropme.ru/da24975228eab85ab78ee36f96600801

The software allows me to send just 4 email an hour if that is what I want.

Do you thing I would be OK doing that?

Not sure how to implement your safety suggestions... If I get software is it OK to check
back with you on how to set things up properly?

Regards
Jeff

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My first reaction to the original question was HELL NO!

Then I thought for a moment...eh, why not, Sure. Email me.

My email filters, blocks and system purge works ridiculously well.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
please don't send me no emails generated from the spam software you are using.

if i get one, i will add your info to an existing list of "d2d" spammers

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thought I would share. See: http://cropme.ru/da24975228eab85ab78ee36f96600801
The software allows me to send just 4 email an hour if that is what I want.

Do you thing I would be OK doing that?

Not sure how to implement your safety suggestions... If I get software is it OK to check
back with you on how to set things up properly?

It really doesnt matter what software you might use. This is a server configuration issue.

Do you use a pop account on your server to send and recieve your personal or company emails?

Problem is, most people just lease their hosting services and then think it is just a matter of setting up a website and an email account in cPanel (which is what I use).

But your email is no more plug-n-play then most people consider it to be.
The 'safety' issue is just learning to do things right regarding your email account(s) you may have setup on your server.
And I cant tell you or just give you some code from my vps that you could use on your solution.
It (likely) may be a custom solution for you, and a whole different solution for somebody else.

I can recommends some things to start with, but ultimatly it will require you to verify by test to some free accounts, or with the help of some others that may have accounts they can test recipt of your emails to.

If you use cpanel in your server, then start with setting up your Email Authentication by enabling your Domain Keys and SPF records. cPanel will tell you if those are succesful or not. These will add things to your dns records. But this may not be the whole story just yet. It may require some Advanced settings if you are on a shared or vps server.

But first go and get some verification that the MX records seem to be setup properly.
http://mxtoolbox.com/
(note, make sure your email does not have open relay enabled, as you may be prone to spammer hackers muling your server and accounts.)

Now compile a list of your biggest ISP's, I just verify RoadRunner and Comcast as they are notorious for silently blackholing spam.
Add to that common email carriers such as Gmail, AOL, Hotmail, MSN, cant think of any others off hand. (these are ones that you will have to test manually through someone as a proxy.)
Also some email carriers have White List inclusion requirements too that you may have to submit your email domains to. (free and easy, but it may have to be done like AOL if I remember it right).

Also want to check on blacklist services.

Now it gets trickier the closer you get, for example in my case on my vpn, required a dns record with some specific code that clears up some final issues with some other providers. But this code in my case required me to visit my hosting provider support to get the exact entry to polish the job. That wasnt easy for me, as my vpn is not a managed server and I cant just ask for specific optomization on a ticket and walk away. So that took some digging.

Yea, this is all a pain in the arse, but fortunatly when you get to the point where you have confidence in your outbound emails actually being delivered and not being dumped in the spam inboxes or (gads) being blackholed by some ISP somewhere, then you can pretty much feel good that your marketing targets will at least be given the option to call you spam, or best case, the read and like what you say.

But most webmasters and mistresses never consider this aspect if the can get their own mails. And they may not even know that without tests their outbounds may not ever be seen by a human.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I see very little difference in you being the one-hundred-and-first person to send me spam emails than that person who was number one.

JeffreyL

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Mark,

Thanks for taking the time to outline how you would address these server issues. This is very much appreciated.

For me, very much following what Adam Dicker suggests in his Domain Sherpa interview
for those wanting to become successful domain brokers.

[FONT=Georgia, serif]Here's a nice quote that sums up how I feel:

"There is a wonderful way to cut twenty years off the learning curve in your career. It is to hang out with people who are where
[/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]you want to be, or people who have done what you want to do. The key is to create a win-win relationship. A mentor is one of [/FONT]
[FONT=Georgia, serif]many ways to accomplish this objective."[/FONT]
-- Tim Conner

Thanks again

Regards
Jeff

Last edited by a moderator:

intersolved

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I worked for a company that sent out thousands of emails a day..... very important to remember, whether you send one or 1,000 "spam" emails, make sure you do not send them from your primary email! Depending on the host company, if you get just a couple of people reporting you as spam, it can cause your emails to not land correctly, even if you are replying to emails sent to you!

JeffreyL

Level 3
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Intersolved,

BIG thanks, all good advise.

When I do put on my domain broker hat a contact potential buyers I will get a new cheap hosting account and put a copy of my main site on it... then create
an email account and use that for making contact. Also, the software Atomic Email Studio has an option to verify addresses before sending them so won't be
getting a lot of returned emails... which I understand is a good practice.

As I said previously... Only sending out a very small amount of email as part of an overhaul marketing plan... Will also use personalization and profession signature
as suggested by Adam.

Does what I suggest above sound like a good strategy given your past experience?

Regards
Jeff

intersolved

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
That all sounds great. Not sure how your results will be generated, or how many domains you will do at once... but you may want to keep track of all the emails you are sending to cross check against. I noticed that when we would do a mass mailing about a bunch of domains, certain emails would show up over and over for different domains. Some of these lead generators just keep producing the same info over and over. So while you may only send the customer one email about that domain, it may be one of MANY emails you will send them, making you a spammer to that person, and they will report you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom