Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Read and weep

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While the UK and in fact many countries are playing around with connections in the 1Mbps to 8Mbps area, Hong Kong Broadband has pushed a symmetric 1Gbps (1000Mbps) service out to consumers. The service will cost $215 (roughly £120) per monthThe service is set to be available 800,000 households out of the 2.2 million in Hong Kong, and is based around the same Metro Ethernet infrastructure used to deliver existing 100Mbps ($34) and 10Mbps ($16) services. The roll-out means over 10,000 Cisco LAN switches and 800 Cisco routers are being installed in buildings, with Ethernet cabling between the LAN switch cabinet in the building and the apartments

i want to move there :santa:

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is that faster than my 56k windup modem ? :-D

PS I like your blog stevey - good luck with your websites.

Kishin

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
*Jaw Drops*

Thats amazing,In Toronto you got to pay about 50-60 bucks for 5 Mbps.

I would like to move there as well :)

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
that sure sounds like a heck of a deal.. but what does an average person do with so much bandwidth? could backfire :evil:

GlobalFusion

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Dam...

I Pay around AUD$80 for my 500k connection atm.

GBP£120 would be about AUD$290..

Hmm..
$80 for 500kbps..
$290 for 1Gbps.....

Im likin those figures. ;)

But DAM. I'd be faster than most of the servers on the net! It would be a challenge to find good servers that can match my speed - lol

stevey

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this is the reason why webhosting wont be around much longer, the UK are testing speeds upto 20mbps this year (BT) how long do you think till windows release a operating system that at a click of a button your website goes live from your own pc, with very easy and simple programs to webdeisgn, the only people in the future who will need webhosting will be the people who have millions of visitors a day, we are afterall only in the stone age of the internet

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mind you that the ceiling speed (1,000Mbps) is only good for LOCAL websites, while download from and upload to overseas servers are still limited to 20Mbps.

They are able to do that mostly because it's a really *small* place, so their costs for infrastructure are relatively lower. I once lived (read my blog) in a neighbourhood of some 50 blocks of highrises (up to 40 storeys) which spreaded out like 3 miles or so but with a population of more than 30,000!! (I later moved to near the border where there are less than a few hundred people in tens of acres around.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom