Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Received offer - could use pro. guidance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

atypical

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! Although I've been reading for months, this is my first occasion to post.

Introduction:

Late 2001: Purchased first domain: hirepatty.com (for personal use), was hooked on the entire process immediately!

Spring 2002: Thought (and still do, to some extent) that in select markets, .TV had major potential, and registered several domains through them... catchy one-words, ones I thought had media potential, sexy ones, etc. If they didn't sell, I made grandiose plans of how I, with little... correction NO... web design skills would develop them into profitable little lemonade stands. Actually have done so with a few thus far, with modest success.

2002 - 2003: moved on to .coms, trying my hand at wordsmithing and scouring various expired lists (still haven't mastered that art!). I've sold a few, and with the exception of one, for more than I paid to register them.

Over the past several months, I've sort of let the names business stew while I concentrated on other things.

Now: I'm suddenly getting offers on my .TV names (three in the past week).

And now for the questions!

1) Got an offer of $500 for newschannel.tv. I don't really NEED the money right now, so I'm thinking of hanging onto it a while longer. What do you think?

2) Just in case, could use some input on how to craft a professional "politely decline unless you're willing to fork out a few more bucks, am negotiable but also firm" response that won't scare the potential buyer off.

I'll welcome any advice you have to offer.

Thanks!
Atypical

p.s. Oops already! Meant to post this in the newbie thread. Don't know how I managed that, but sorry!

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NewsChannel.tv is a very good name. And a corporation which manages news channels will not be a Mom & Pop family store. They have deeeeeeep pockets. Let them dig a bit deeper and make you atleast a five figure offer. If they make you a five figure offer , tell them you meant $99999 . And negotiate. BTW , I do not mind being paid 10% of the sales for these tips. :-D

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just tell them, thank you for the offer but at this time your looking for a bit more & that you might be able to work out a deal if they're prepared to offer a bit more. (a lot more LOL).

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dear xxxx,

Thank you for your kind offer of $500 for my domain name NewsChannel.tv

I regret to say that I am engaged with a project to realise the full potential of this valuable name and therefore I could not possibly consider selling for such a low figure.

Yours xxxx

Tells them $500 is zippo for this name but that you might be prepared to sell. Doesn't tell them anything you don't want them to know.

(Just my personal suggestion you understand.)

atypical

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Your responses helped affirm my decision to decline the offer.

Originally posted by URLtrader
tell them you meant $99999 . And negotiate. BTW , I do not mind being paid 10% of the sales for these tips. :-D

Will a cocktail in Vegas do?

Seriously though, negotiating is not my forté, and if someone were able to broker me deals like that, I'd gladly pay a percentage.

Thanks to all of you for being so willing to share your knowledge!
Atypical

hiOsilver

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dear XXXX,

Thank you for the offer on the domain name, NewsChannel.TV [note: use mixed caps for enhanced readability and for marketing your names at all time].

A good domain name is an investment, not an expense. Some names are very valuable, as they are prime addresses in cyberspace.

[Option A - when you want a sale and want the negotiations to continue] Your offer is too low, but I would accept ________.

[Option B] Your offer is too low, and I prefer to hold onto the name for now. I feel that NewsChannel.TV has lots of potential, and I may even develop it myself in the future.

Best regards,

XXXXX

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by actnow
I think $ 500 is way to low. And, 99,999 is too high.

Now, you have to decide how much you want. But, don't be
in a hurry.

You are right that $99999 is too high. It could be a starting point for negotiations. And a TV channel can afford it. :-D

Zoobar

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would simply reply with, "No thank you.", and leave it at that. No need to show your hand at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom