Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Received PM offers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I from time to time receiving PM offers from members who do not want to post offer from the thread but I noticed there are a couple of members here always post:

Received PM offer $xxx

from the sale thread.

I don't believe that people always send PM offers only to this guy.

I don't think he really has any PM offers - just want to drive the price up.

Is is ethical?

Don't ask me who - Just browse the sales thread.

Domain Days 2024

sellingonline

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the admins could check it in the PM's, but it could be on another forum too (if posted elsewhere in addition) but like you describe it, it's not really a way to do good business in my opinion, shame on the seller (it's like ebay-self-bidding, isn't it?) - he should better mention a reserve and the result will be the same

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is consistent with a couple of his threads.
As soon as someone post an offer at the thread he has an PM offer a couple of minutes later.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have seen the same thing many times and does make you wonder , I just offer what I want to pay and if the seller refuses the offer I move on, I won't bid against an invisible bidder.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol, Johnn I'm glad you said it man.....fyi, nobody believes this crap but the sellers I think! ;)

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Don't ask me who - Just browse the sales thread.

hehe, now that you mention it, it sticks out like dogs b@lls.
Its also funny how people who do this never seem to actually sell anything...

allanh

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Justin, I don't think Johnn is referring to Mr Cool....

Rockefeller

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are many people that do this, myself included. I don't only sell on the forum, I use multiple means of selling my domains, one of them being to end users. If anyone ever has a question about my offers, please feel free to PM me, though I won't post the person's email in the thread. I am always available by telephone at (307) 220-7075.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
<><

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are legitimate PM offers and fake PM offers.
I myself do receive PM offers from members who does not want to make offer in the public thread and many times I sent pm offers to the sellers instead of posting offer in the thread.

Consistently posting fake offers is not a good way to conduct a business.
Self-bidding is not allowed at any auction site. The question is shoud it be allowed here.
This guy ALWAYS receives a Higher offer (many times the higher offer looks ridiculous too!) a couple minutes after someone posts an offer from the thread.

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Here's an easy litmus test. If it's a bad domain, you can tell right away there's probably not another offer via PM. If it's a good domain, there most likely are offers via PM.

With almost all the names I sell, I get offers via PM or sometimes direct emails.

It really boils down to the quality of the domain. When I put a good domain on the forum, 99 percent of the time several people will be be interested.

I've had some people call my bluff only to get angry when I let them know it's been sold to the highest offer - which they may not have believed was credible.

That's the nature of this business.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I from time to time receiving PM offers from members who do not want to post offer from the thread but I noticed there are a couple of members here always post:

Received PM offer $xxx

from the sale thread.

I don't believe that people always send PM offers only to this guy.

I don't think he really has any PM offers - just want to drive the price up.

Is is ethical?

it's like ebay-self-bidding, isn't it?)

These are issues that concerned me, but was afraid to ask. Glad you started this.

I think that if there's sufficient doubt. The mods or admins, should look into them.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I never personally have done this or had this problem, but would be concerned about privacy if people started directing mods to check our PM boxes, who is to say it was'nt an offer on another forum or by personal email? There are MANY variables involved in this whole equation and I think it comes down to personal preference and using good judgement in these situations...People start to notice these "fake" offer trends over time and obviously when one or two people pull this crap it devalues everyone else's claims of having an offer via PM when many times they actually do and it's not BS..so I guess in the end you have to just base your choice on someones reputation as a seller, check their feedback and check their old sales threads..if you see a pattern of higher offers and no resulting sales then you know it's probably a spiders web you don't want to get tangled in. But if you see one of MY sales for instance, the BIN will be set low enough that this "offers by PM" crap is'nt even necessary! :eek:k:

Chris

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know what you are saying but to be honest once I decide what I will pay for a domain it doesn't matter what tactics they use. If they do the "PM offer received" thing it is their perogative I guess but if they are BS'ing then they have lost legitimate bidders/offers. Perhaps this is their way of offering a range...I have no idea.
I have done it but it is when I have received an offer via PM from someone who wants to remain anonymous...I respect that as I quite often do PM offers. The main reason for anonymous is that some people see that you buy and start PMing you with the "I have a name like that" scenario. The other reason is I hate it when I google one of my names and the sales thread comes up...#$%^&...I have had end-users come back at me with that one saying "but you only paid $400 for it"...

leo

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ok now i really recieved a offer thorugh PM and feel werid no one of you in this thread is going to actually believe i got a offer? :D

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
leo, don't worry my friend..that's why theres that old "boy who cried wolf" story...as long as you have'nt been then don't worry man! :eek:k: lol

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Normally you can expect at least one question/pm sent comment in the thread, if domain attracts interest

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

No members online now.

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom