Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Recent GoDaddy Auctions Defy Laws of Domaining

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cr3ativity

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Have you seen GoDaddy's auctions lately? Ma27.com for $8,000; lj2011.com for $7,500; even dacvb.info for $4,500 and the list goes on...WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?! I can't even wrap my mind around this because it seems to break all the rules I've been following, before and after I joined this forum. Anyone have an answer(s)? o_O

Embrand

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I noticed it as well. It looks very strange. And it happened within a very short time. If they had a lot of traffic, that might be the explanation. But that doesn't even seem to be the case.

Cr3ativity

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Eurobangkok - Something tells me this is either a single individual or group of people that somehow activated more than one account and are bidding on their own domains to draw in inexperienced domainers'. I'm pretty sure there's a way to bypass the system....Either that, or GoDaddy is running a blind glitch o_O

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Would anyone consider this to be an awesome tax right off, down the road, similar to the bullshit art market, where they pretend some of that crap has some value, we are not talking a real piece of art here, and spare me the art is in the eyes of the beholder or the new saying applies '' a domains value is what someone pays for it" clever tax right offs imo.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Or they are preying on the hopes the domain market reversed its downward trend on January first 2012, 12:00:01 AM.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The first example you gave, ma27.com, is still in auction and is a dropping domain so unlikely that anyone would be shill bidding on it (Halvarez...are you out there?). It's had a few owners over the years and looks to be PR7 - don't know if genuine PR or not but could explain the interest in it.

Don't know about the other 2 examples other than they appear to be PR5 - can't be bothered looking at other details.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Re ma27.com - could be the owner running it up to see how far it'll go then pays the $80 to get it out of redemption? Just thinking out loud...

ryanmlanane

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
How would the owner then get in contact with the buyer though ?

You pay the $80 - out of redemption, can you even tell who was bidding on your domain when it was expired. I wouldn't think so. It just says bidder1, bidder2, so on ... even if you are the owner I would assume the same holds true.

Cr3ativity

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Even if the domain is PR7, I would not even bother...what can you possibly market with MA27? A type of gun....? :D Something tells me this auction is a missing part of the "domaining puzzle" that should be investigated further...

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are buyers for PR domains. For example check out digitalpoint forums domain threads. These guys sell links or slap on some cheesy website and sell it on Flippa and other market places.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How would the owner then get in contact with the buyer though ?
You redeem it, then you use the same auction channel to contact the buyer. The WHOIS is going to show the owner for a period of time. And if the name drops out of redemption, the new buyer will want to have this name and will contact the owner via whois.

Cr3ativity

Level 2
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
The bizarre GoDaddy auctions are officially DEAD! Having that said, they weren't sold either and here's why...

Yesterday, I saved an image of GoDaddy's home screen and the auction for ma27.com was set to expire in 4 days. In other words, the auctions might have been closed due to acts of fraud, etc. There is absolutely NO way one page of auctions would disappear days before the auctions are intended to end...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom