Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Recommend an European-Based Registrar/Auction Site???

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know, ICANN is still administered under US dominion, but fair is fair and ICANN — and some notable US-Based participants — are ripe for anti-competitive, anti-trust (Monopoly), practices under US and EU law.

If you are following my thread regarding US-Based Registrars and or Auction services you will be familiar with my problem: I Do Not want to auction my names with them. The GoDaddy empire composed of international entities of Afternic/and many others (DAN & ***.*** et al) in their newly-acquired-empirical-conglomerate-reach are not:

1. Allowing for non-US domain owners to list their names in any other currency, EXCEPT USD (Sorry for shouting).

2. Requiring all domain owners/sellers choosing to auction within the GoDaddy empire to certify that they are "non-US Persons" by completing and submitting a USA W-9 online form to be exempt from US withholding taxation. Enough of the USA!-USA!-USA! flag waving, already.

I live and work in Spain, and pay Spanish income tax, in EUR!!! We Euros have had our fill of that, and you are no longer the center of the domaining universe. We are universal, international, not beholden to any one nation's influence...this is what Tim Berners-Lee envisioned when he created the Internet. We pay our taxes where we live. Back to first principles.

3. Paying a ridiculous flat fee commission of 25% of sales price (known as a Seller's Premium) to the seller, AND, an additional "Buyer's premium" on top of that! Who do they think they are...Christie's or Sotheby's selling a Picasso or Da Vinci? Come on, GoDaddy Inc, you are flogging domain names for god's sake...and you want to take over the domainers' world...and that is anti-competitive behavior, plain and simple. We Europeans don't like that, uh, er, "male cows' excrement" (shout out to Helmuts.)

4. More on Nº 3, if one agrees to change the nameservers of their domains to GoDaddy "Approved" auction entities, they reduce the commission to 15%. How generous. But then, they add a minimum 5% surcharge for a "premium broker" to get the name out to potential buyers...otherwise one gets a lander page if someone should type in that specific name. Wow! Again, how generous of them.

Now, here's a "Cunning Plan." : How about GoDaddy, et al, getting off your duffs and promoting our premium names like back in the day of honest work, instead of baiting a hook, and then sitting on the shore or in a boat and waiting for a fish (sucker) to swim in? How about EARNING your outlandish commissions!

Long story short...Does anyone know of a European-domiciled Registrar, with non-US Nameservers, and/or auction site that does not have such Draconian/Anti-Monopoly/Pro-USA, rules and regs?

Yeah, you are going to suggest SEDO. I am not a hater, I love them. They just seem to be captivated by the newest flavor of the month, LLL & LLLL names, and are not serving the premium name market these days. I guess that's where the money is.

All the best Steveatvillas (Steve Russell)

Last edited:

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom