Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Redirecting domains to other websites

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechMan

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have seen people who register a domain and then redirect to some other similar site mostly big sites in same category. Why do they do that? Is there a purpose? As far as I understand they do it with the intention of selling that domain to that other site by showing how many visitors are coming from them but I am not sure about it!?

Thanks

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Simply advertising their website ... more exposure to their products and services.

ftaylor

.scot
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps they are getting paid to redirect.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I once did it as a joke. I had the .com of a sports team and pointed it to the rival's site (which I'm a fan of). ;)

But - could be leased, the owner could work for that entity, there are dozens of reasons why.

I have two I point to a local club's site, some pointing to a friends site, and one to a rescue organization's site, all to be nice.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have seen people who register a domain and then redirect to some other similar site mostly big sites in same category. Why do they do that? Is there a purpose? As far as I understand they do it with the intention of selling that domain to that other site by showing how many visitors are coming from them but I am not sure about it!?

Thanks

mostly this is only done using an affiliate code as the redirect url, for that domain.

you may have a "golf equipment" related domain that has traffic and you join an affiliate program that golf related sites. each site has a code which is embedded in the url for that advertiser and this code also relates to your account, within that affiliate program.

usually the code link they will give you is for an image/banner that you would place on your own site, but you can parse it straight to the advertiser if you know how.

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have often wondered if doing so would allow you to piggyback off of their seo rank. By displaying their content and showing up highly (your domain) for relevant search terms in search engines after a while, you could switch to a page with your affiliate links and adsense banners to capture some of their unsuspecting visitors. After awhile, switch back to their site and do it all over again. Kinda sneaky, and I have never done this, just wondered if this was possible.

sundari

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If they own the site it might be for selling it by showing that it has plenty of traffic.

If they do not own it might because that they are selling their traffic to that site.

Either way it is an intelligent way of driving in traffic to increase its seo.

All the Best.

sundari.:cool:

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sometimes it's done (at least temporarily while waiting development in some cases) using something called "domain pointers" accessed via the control panel of a site on your server. The domain resolves but the name in the browser window is the url of the site forwarded to and the search engines may possibly index the content of the site forwarded to.

imneazmh

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Thanks

Its mainly depends on the intention of usage of domain redirect. As far as I know people do permanent domain redirect from cpanel for following popular reasons:

a) SEO advantage: Suppose you got a marketing tutorial site and you are trying to optimize your site for your primary keyword "Free Marketing Tutorials". One factor for good SEO is obtaining Keyword domain and redirecting to your parent site. Now if you have FreeMarketingTutorials.com and redirect the domain to your main site, you will certainly have some sort of SEO advantage.

b) Affiliate Marketing
: Most of the times Affiliate links looks crappy. Suppose, you are trying to promote a marketing ebook and you have registered for some affiliate program. Your affiliate link will look like something like this: http://whateverwhateverprogram.com/affliate?id=007. People are less likely to click on your affiliate link whereever (article directories, forum signatures, social medias etc.) you promote your links. Therefore, smart super affiliates use domain redirect method thats proven to be more effective and fruitful. Now say, if you have registered for FreeMarketingTutorials.com and forwarded it to http://whateverwhateverprogram.com/affliate?id=007, you are likely to get far better clicks than using raw affiliate link.

c) Promoting and Branding parent site: For instance, ToysRUS.com acquired toys.com and forwarded to its parent site.

Well, I beg your pardon if my answer is not adequate. :)

Neaz

Last edited:

owntag

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Get fake page rank or simply have no idea how to do with the domain

kabir1008

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have a Painting Business with a web site and I bought 3 more painting domains of city's nearby and redirected them to my website for leads - although I can't track visitors, I do it from the registrar.

Glenn

talas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The action of redirecting domains to some other websites is for strengthen the influence of visitors, so that once they redirect the domains to parking land pages or sites, they can got more revenues. Or, anyway, it is a strategy of traffic hijacking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom