Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Redirects and Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auction-Pros

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a #1 ranked website in Google and it has a pretty good size forum with almost 100,000 posts. I have had the #1 rank for a 1-2 year now with no drop.

I had to change a forum SEO plugin that is no longer supported and the creator is nowhere to be found. I installed the new plugin and everything is working fine. However, I have thousands of links indexed in Google and they are redirecting fine to the new URL scheme. However, I'm a little worried about pagerank drop and most importantly my rank dropping.

Does anyone have any experience with a lot of redirects and Google punishing for it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whenever you change the url's, your listings and rankings will change. It will take at least 3 months to come out of the wash. It will appear like punishment at first.

On one of my sites I went from raw to modrewrite url's and for months I chewed fingernails watching my pages drop.

Use 301 redirects if you can. http://www.webconfs.com/how-to-redirect-a-webpage.php

Auction-Pros

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I tried out my link on the website and it says:

The Redirect is Search Engine Friendly.

I think that I might keep it out it is with the redirects portion of the plugin and keep a close eye on it.

Whenever you change the url's, your listings and rankings will change. It will take at least 3 months to come out of the wash. It will appear like punishment at first.

On one of my sites I went from raw to modrewrite url's and for months I chewed fingernails watching my pages drop.

Use 301 redirects if you can. http://www.webconfs.com/how-to-redirect-a-webpage.php

---------- Post added at 11:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

My pages used to have a some keywords and .html at the end.

Now they just have keywords.

The links in Google go directly to the correct forum post, but the search engine has it with different keywords and the .html.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
And that will take time for google to update, as each page will have to be reindexed.

metafever

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What you should do is cloak the indexed pages to the new URL structure.

Fantomaster use to be the go to source, but is no longer activly selling their IP / UA list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom