Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Register.com... always this awful?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just got my first domain through register.com (not willingly... it was a drop and that is who caught it)

I have to say, of all the registrars I have been subjected to over the years, this is about the worst in terms of the hoops I have to jump through to navigate the site and the maddeningly slow speed in which it allows me to jump through them.

How does anybody get anything done there?

/rant :upset:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
register.com is probably the "suckiest" of them all

they've actually changed 'contact info' on a domain of mine, to their info, so I wasn't receiving transfer emails.

double check everything, and transfer out asap

imo....

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
It takes 2-3 days to get you the auth key if you are transferring out, as well. But remember, both Register.com and Network Solutions are owned by Web.com

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are awful. You will have to beg to retrieve the auth codes for your domains, and they will give you a hard time.
Worst experience, along with registerfly.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Biggie, that is really troubling.

Theo & Katherine, when I submitted for an auth key, they actually told me 4-5 days. Since I just got the domain, I have no delusions that they will actually let me transfer it out yet, but it would sure be nice.

I am really unimpressed so far.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I cannot even disable auto-renew, you have to call them :upset:

They charge $38 for renewals...

I just want to leave. And never ever have to deal with that outfit again.

Nick

aka twomoon
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Last time I transferred the name out from Register.com the steps were as bellow:
1. Requested the auth. code. Got a message that need to wait for 4-5 days.
2. Waited for 4-5 days and finally got the email from Register.com! They rejected to give me the code and asked me to call them.
3. Called them, described the situation, they gave me the code finally! I forwarded the code to the buyer and he started transfer. Oooh! Oooh?
4. The code didn't work. I called the Register.com again (it was the mistake cause I called in the business hours in US - and I live outside), waited for 15 min and no operator avaliable.
5. Called again in a couple of hours. They have the option that you can leave your phone number and they would call you back. I made it. Went sleep.
6. In 8 hrs woked up. No any call from them. In couple of hours called them again (it was night in US) so I was lucky enough to talk to operator and I asked him to apporve the transfer manually. And he did it.

Only 6 steps and you have a code :)

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
when i get a buyer who wants to transfer to register.com because its the registrar they use, i cringe and feel sorry for their ignorance.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Nick, what you just depicted is the typical register.com experience.
They waste your time, they deny auth codes or send non-working ones, they want you to call them but they are hard to reach.
I reported them to Icann for failure to provide working EPP codes within 5 days as the RAA stipulates.

I am going to call them later in the day, but I am afraid this call is going to be more harmful to my health than a packet of cigarettes :uhoh:

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just called them and got the codes for 4 remaining domains.
The poor guy at the other end spent something like 5 minutes manually setting them.
Now I just hope these codes will work.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've always had Register.com in my list of forbidden registrars, that includes NetSol.com for both lousy and unaffordable unless you're a Fortune 500 co or plain dumb. Some are way expensive but better registrars (Enom is, for example) One test should be: How many domains in your lifespan as a domainer have you bought regged with Register.com ? ZERO in my case, and even when I've sold no one has asked their new domain be moved to Register..... NetSol just a couple on either side, I felt like pointing out how dumb they were, unless you're a true noob there's no excuse for using those.....not long ago Register had a promo for a free domain, normally I'd see what the catch is but I didn't even bother since a yr later I would've had to move it out. And now I see what happens when you want to move a name out or your buyer wants it out of there. They sound like EuroScum (aka EuroDNS) the scum of the earth for registrars anywhere in the world by a mile, they actually ARE real thieves, and they will eventually steal from you too

That's also the problem with drops and domain-catching services, but normally the worst I've heard was for Pool, I assume this one was thru SnapNames which catches Register's drops. Well, Snap Names, I rest my case lol..... combine it with a dead registrar like Register and that's a DOA combo, you should not be that surprised. Even NameJet presents problems once you've caught the domain, Pool loves auction locks (can't even move names to another account for a while even within the same registrar), senseless registrar locks, shady resellers no one ever heard of, which may not even have a website (I'll find that one and a snapshot of that in case it doesn't exist anymore, I'll post it here just to show you this does happen, no website, just a still page telling you to email X address if you want somethin ...LMFAO, oh my...), others don't let you move a name out after you find out about them or when you sell

... You wanna get rich thru drop-catching ? there's a lot of heat you gotta take, my skin wasn't as thick as I thought when it came to SN, NJ, Pool. The registrar/reseller whom you're assigned to after you catch the drop is almost always likely to be the nightmare, bigger than giants NJ or SN themselves, btw Pool does not even deserve to be on that list. Remind me, they catch NameScout's drops (a small Canadian reseller where pushes are only done thru email....) but who else's ....? lol... Not allowing Auto-Renew to be off is a popular practice, some have an unlock mechanism that won't work, defective EPPs are sent, or they're just not sent, and the registrants (us) are always talked down to as the ignorant ones. But sometimes it's hard or impossible to discern whom you'll actually end up dealing with after you get the drop, or even after you just buy a name, the WhoIs is sometimes wrong, make sure the name you're after is worth it.... (once I bought a small gem, the WhoIs said Moniker but it turned out to be at Domainsite, ever heard of 'em....? lol ...and the Sedo asshole opened an acct for me at DS after being told TWICE in writing not to ...my mini-gem had to stay at DS 2 whole mos....)

And while you're at this (eliminating having anything to do with NetSol, Register and EuroTrash if you can help it), include 1nd1.com as well, there you have a clinically and legally insane registrar, both, and I've seen my share of crazy ones, just try 'em.....

Last edited:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Today's episode:

Out of 4 domains, 3 are now pending transfer. But there is one with whois privacy on it (that I didn't ask for) and I don't know where the E-mail is forwarded to, but I definitely didn't get the authorization E-mail for this one. So it can't be transfered yet...

In the control panel there is nowhere to change those whois privacy settings. So I contacted support and here's the answer:

Dear Valued Customer,

Thank you for contacting Register.com.

Privacy must be removed by a representative in order to do this we will also require account verification. Please reply with callback details or you may call into the center at your own convenience.

If you have any further questions, please reply to this email or contact a Web Services Consultant 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at the numbers below.

Thank you for choosing Register.com.

Don't you think this registrar is truly amazing ? I mean, it's a domainer's dream come true :rolleyes:

After reading this, I think no sane person would want to voluntarily have domains there.

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol Katherine, what a nightmare.

DavidH

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks to the heads up this thread gave me, I have now got my one domain that was with them moved elsewhere - looks like I have been lucky getting it moved relatively quickly :)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Update:

For some reason, E-mail sent to the whois privacy address was bouncing for Dynadot. But when I send test messages, they get through and are properly forwarded to the E-mail address. As if there was selective forwarding :)
I contacted my account manager at Dynadot and she was able to fix this (don't know if it was a manual job). Which is a good thing so I didn't have to call them again to lift the whois privacy on the remaining domain name.

All domains are now out of register.com. I am free again :eek:k:

Now I need to have a chat with John Carpenter to discuss the making of Escape from register.com 2013.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And unless 1und1.com had made a 180 since I was last there John Carpenter is more needed there if you ask me lol. I've never dealt w/Register, I don't even have an acct there but they sound as bad as it can get. Theo said NetSol and Register are actually owned by web.com, I think I'd heard that once. Why am I not surprised lol.....? NetSol can't fare much better than Register in the end

1and1 never took money from me and I never lost a domain while I lasted there (amazingly), but their interface, systems in general, screens you're directed to, actions you CAN'T ever take if you need something (their lack of options), that website is plain crazy, I mean crazy in the dictionary sense. The last problem I had there, I did not renew a few dogs I had, as simple as that, so they expired, 1and1 tried to make money from them or they were just lost, end of story and the customer's decision, right ? Not with these German geniuses, it's some labyrinth designed by a mad person. I got notice many months after my cc had been charged for renewal fees for all and I did not have them on auto-ren. Well, apparently, unless you went to a totally different site of theirs (not mentioned in their options, I think it was an actually separate site) and turned off auto-ren there, ONE BY ONE, all names were assumed to be on auto-ren, they told me. I actually thought I saw the OFF sign for auto-ren in my CP while I was there but I have no way to prove it. I bet even after closing an account you'd still get billed for renewals w/1und1, I just know that 100%. I cringe when I see ads on cable TV (I think they're the only ones on regular TV) advertising their services, including the new 2013 gTLDs. Poor people if they end up with 1and1...

As to EuroScam (EuroDNS to some faithful few) their actions are plain criminal. Escape from there with whatever you have left or it'll be too late...
:eek:

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have seen many bad comments about euroscam but what happened :)

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol .....I can't tell if you meant just me (that I've badmouthed them here a couple of times and they sure deserve it) :) .... or if you've seen others tell dnf what happened to them. I don't see EuroDNS (for once I'll call them their name) bashed that often anymore, in fact. I did in the late 2000's but not much recently, maybe they finally decided to go straight. You and others are Europeans, and I know in Europe people use them a lot, especially for ccTLDs. So you may be a customer there and if you like them that's cool. Funny, both EuroDNS and 1und1 are big Sedo partners, they're both prominently figured on the Sedo site and many domains for sale there are with those two. One more thing that makes me dislike Sedo.... LMFAO

I have seen many bad comments about euroscam but what happened :)

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got notice many months after my cc had been charged for renewal fees for all and I did not have them on auto-ren. Well, apparently, unless you went to a totally different site of theirs (not mentioned in their options, I think it was an actually separate site) and turned off auto-ren there, ONE BY ONE, all names were assumed to be on auto-ren, they told me. I actually thought I saw the OFF sign for auto-ren in my CP while I was there but I have no way to prove it. I bet even after closing an account you'd still get billed for renewals w/1und1, :eek:

That sounds like a class action lawsuit just waiting to happen.

Get proof, and it could make you rich!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom