Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Register Fly

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaZZeR.com

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I had a domain name at register fly. I accidentally let it expire because I forgot to change my contact info. I finally remembered but the domain has gone into the redemption period. Now they are telling me that in order to re-register it, I have to pay $219. Is this legal? If I let the redemption period expire, then I take the chance of someone else registering it before me.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Be glad they are even offering it to you ... in answer to your question ... yes.

Visit ICANN.org / VeriSign.com for more details on redemption and related fees.

Ron

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
As Ron stated, you might be lucky! Other (some) registrars (or resellers) won't allow you to renew in this period.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
$219 is a bit steep but the cost to RegisterFly as an Enom reseller is $200 so guess they have to make a profit? Steve

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I think You got it back for good price!
I have heard it can cost more.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's not only legal, but done with the express approval of ICANN, who mandated a redemption period and let the companies makea profit off of it as part of the deal.

It wasn't too long ago that the name would already be in process of queueing up to be droped at this point without any chance of getting it back beforehand without the registrar pulling some shenanigans that would usually cost you quite a bit more than $200.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I accidentally let it expire because I forgot to change my contact info.

I'm the kind of person who knows that the phone bill is due when I don't have a dial tone, we need oil when the house is cold, and if there is nothing on TV it is time to call the cable company with payment information. Part of this sort of lifestyle is being nicked for special treatment and late charges. Life is like that.

The domain name could have been deleted for bad contact info alone.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
As always, I like John's approach the best.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TIP: make the registrant, the billing, and the admin email contacts three different email addresses. In some cases you will get notices to all three when it's due, so that if one is inactive, bad or filtered, you will have a chance at getting one of them.

Maybe someday I'll get around to following my own tip. :D

Also, don't ever use an email address based on the domain itself. when they deactivate it you have zero chance of getting a notice between expiration and drop.

pelican

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
or you can try backorder your domain.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom