Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Register Now Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electric-Shadow

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi

Decided to have a quick browse round dnf only to be greeted by an annoying register now box.

May I suggest adding a close button to it? i'd imagine it's quite annoying for returning members who's cookies have been cleared or have expired. It's soo annoying being unable to close it lol

Upvote 0
C

Chuck

If you are returning member to the site, but not logged in, you can login behind the box without closing it.

Also, the box only remains active for 20 seconds ;)

Electric-Shadow

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yeah thanks, I managed to figure that much out lol, but still couldnt hurt to have a close button :p

tristanperry

Domainer & Web/Software Dev
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Firstly: this is just my opinions, given with respect. Feel free to ignore or discuss what I say further. I'm not looking to "moan" or create an argument. :)

Anywhoo: Whenever I see a website have something like that, I close the tab and won't considering registering on it.

Harassing visitors to join you isn't a sensible idea, in my humble opinion :)

Making it 50% smaller, *not* scroll with the user, having it staying up for just 5 seconds *and* having a close button... I'd still not like it, but that would be better.

But the current one is really bad in my humble opinion.

Would you like it if you walk into a shop and someone followed you around for at least 20 seconds saying "Buy from us, buy from us" every second?

If not, then why have the same thing there? :) I'm pretty sure it's been proven that using such intrusive measures will actually result in you getting less people registering. I'll have a dig around and see if I can find the articles and research results if you want.

This is obviously just my opinion, but from all viewpoints (accessibility, usability, conversion of visitors into members etc) this just seems like a bad idea. Just wondering what the rationale is? :)

Last edited:

Electric-Shadow

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well said, I also immediately close any sites that have annoying adverts which you cant close and follow you down the page but I would keep browsing the site if I had the option of at least closing the ads and size doesn't particularly bother me just as long as its not *in your face look at me*,

That said this ad is slightly different and is asking users to register but based on my experience users generally will register for something if they want it enough, any that dont want to register wont and nothing would probably convince them otherwise.

Not wanting to create a fuss here or anything, just expressing my opinion :)

havlock

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I dont know what everyone else thinks, but this big box that comes at you constantly when you are on the front page of DNF is really annoying;

dnf.jpg

Personally I like being able to come here and not have to login to catch up with what's going on, and over the past day or 2 I find myself just leaving instead of checking in because of this box. Anyway, just wanted to vent about this as it really is aggravating to me.

Happy Domaining to all and to all a good night!
Joey

tristanperry

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Already a thread on this :)

http://www.dnforum.com/f79/register-now-box-thread-375799.html

I quite agree, it's a joke. I've posted a few thoughts (well, a few paragraphs!) on it.

As I said there, and I'll say it again, when I see a site offering a box like that (with no way of even closing it), I go off that website straight away.

I know it's not my site, although I'm giving my views since I like these forums and I don't want to see their "new members today/this week" count drop massively.

havlock

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Would you like it if you walk into a shop and someone followed you around for at least 20 seconds saying "Buy from us, buy from us" every second?

That above just about sums it up, have visited WAY less here and find that box incredibly intrusive.
Joey

havlock

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks TristanPerry, found the other thread and expressed the same. I will be back once this thing is gone, personally I really like being able to browse and catchup without logging in, so its not just for the new guys it really is affecting the regulars.

tristanperry

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks TristanPerry, found the other thread and expressed the same. I will be back once this thing is gone, personally I really like being able to browse and catchup without logging in, so its not just for the new guys it really is affecting the regulars.
Anytime :) And I was the same - I was out and wanted to surf a bit but couldn't login. Then I saw... that thing... and just left.

C

Chuck

I have removed the pop up box.

It's just another thing we tested out and some ideas work better than others ;)

Chuck

tristanperry

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Chuck (love that name btw, reminds me of the 2nd best show on TV ;)),
Sounds good :) Apologies if my views came off a bit strong, it's just that I don't know of too many people who like a box that scrolls with the user (and I like this community, and think that new members is good) ;)

havlock

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have removed the pop up box.

It's just another thing we tested out and some ideas work better than others ;)

Chuck

Fantastic! I can return now to this lovely place without aggravation. Thanks Chuck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom