Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Registerfly Class Action Suit Begins

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeluxeNames.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Good news for those of you that have had Registerfly problems.
I was not asked to post this by anyone but wanted to pass on this information on my own to help out any of you that have been wronged by Registerfly.

A class action suit against Registerfly is now potentially forming in California. Edwin is an extremely good lawyer who's specialty is class action suits (I know he's good because he was my classmate at Harvard and he would always outscore me).

You may have the opportunity to become a "named plaintiff". I'm no lawyer but, but from what I understand, while everyone in a successful class action suit will receive some compensation, a "named plaintiff" will receive much more. If you are a resident of California, you may call Edwin's cell at: (818)-288-0877. You will probably get his voicemail (he's very busy) but leave him a detailed message and he will get back to you. If you would rather email him, that is fine too: [email protected]

For those of you that have been wronged by Registerfly but you do not live in California, email Edwin at: [email protected] and give him a detailed description. If there is enough of you from any particular state, he may expand the potential class action suit to your state but at this time Californiais is where it is more likely to begin as they have tough consumer protection laws that give him a decided advantage.

I must emphasize that time is of the essence in a class action suit and that this is a "potential" class action suit, meaning it is being evaluated, not yet an actual class action suit.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Be sure of your ground before dragging others in. Maybe a post by your lawyer may be appropriate at this stage.

DeluxeNames.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
aZooZa said:
Be sure of your ground before dragging others in. Maybe a post by your lawyer may be appropriate at this stage.

I do understand your concerns. Since I know of this class action suit, and chose on my own to to pass along this information, it is legally appropriate. It is not lawful for any lawyer to directly solicit plaintiffs, especially with this type of case. He would be on dubious legal ground if he posted here and it would hurt this case.

This is the reason you never see lawyers here directly soliciting business. Please feel free to email/call him and he will be happy to give details.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Good luck! Hope you put those RegFly clowns "officially" out of biz. We all know they deserve to get hammered.

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Glad i moved any names i had there away many years ago

webfreak

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stocdoctor said:
Good luck! Hope you put those RegFly clowns "officially" out of biz. We all know they deserve to get hammered.
Since they're an ICANN accredited registrar, if they were really put out of business, where would the names wind up?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It is not lawful for any lawyer to directly solicit plaintiffs,

It would be extremely helpful, however, to provide information concerning the claims made in the case, so that others similarly situated might determine whether they have information that may be useful.

http://www.msbar.org/ethic_opinions.php?id=340

Given the variety of complaints one might find by, for example, googling registerfly (see, e.g. www.registerflies.com for a collection), whether or not the claims of this case are similar to other cases would be helpful to know.

Does this "Edwin" have a last name or a CA Bar ID?

DeluxeNames.com

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
webfreak said:
Since they're an ICANN accredited registrar, if they were really put out of business, where would the names wind up?

I think it is too early to be concerned with these issues.
Since I'm not a lawyer, I have not explained very well so I'm sorry for the confussion.

Edwin works for a large law firm. This is a potential case that is forming, not an active class action lawsuit. Edwin is talking to potential plantiffs and preparing his evaluations of the merits of this potential case. He will summerize his finding and present them to the partners. They will make a final decision as to whether the case goes forward because it will require a huge investment of money and time to move it forward. His frim rarely looses as they don't take cases they aren't confident they can win. However, the good thing is that there is no shortage of potential plaintiffs (he told me that only two California residents are required to launch the case).

This case may never launch if the partners decide it is not worth the investment or that Registerfly does not have enough money to make it worth their time. Time will only tell. He's encouraged that this week he has been contacted by many potential plantiffs and by the passion of some plaintiffs.

scrsteven

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"It would be extremely helpful, however, to provide information concerning the claims made in the case, so that others similarly situated might determine whether they have information that may be useful."
I agree. I've had problems with Registerfly many times but it's not worth my time or money to file a lawsuit over them. Not registering names when they charge my cc and the names are available to register, not being able to bulk edit my domains whois or nameservers because the tool is admittedly broken but said it is supposed to be fixed in ~week and it still isn't 2+ months later...umm. Not being able to change the whois information for some of my domains because their updating tool individually is also faulty.

elmister

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What about foreign registerfly customers?

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well, good luck. Heaven knows it's not easy for everyone concerned, but you
gotta do what you gotta do.

Be ready for the potential consequences, though.

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hope they are not driven out of business because it is still unclear what will happen to our names thereafter. I have registered over 20 names with them.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Abraham said:
I hope they are not driven out of business because it is still unclear what will happen to our names thereafter. I have registered over 20 names with them.

Another registrar will take over management of those domain names based on
existing processes.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I hate to see litigation put any business into bankruptcy or the likes however I cannot say I didn't smile when I read the thread title.

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
oh, ok. thanks Zane for your reply.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Edwin works for a large law firm.

Folks, if neither the lawyer nor the law firm can be identified, then please do NOT call the telephone number and discuss anything.

There is something strange about a lawyer who does not have a last name, who works for a firm that doesn't have a name at all, and who does not seem to be able to manage an email address other than a free one.

pam

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
There is something strange about a lawyer who does not have a last name, who works for a firm that doesn't have a name at all, and who does not seem to be able to manage an email address other than a free one.

Someone who agrees with me.

A few years ago I needed an attorney for something that I don't even remember, but I contacted the attorney who handled my trademark registration (yes, John, now I know he was a mistake) and he referred me to an attorney with a free Yahoo email address. I did email and asked him for a "real" email address, but he said since he travelled so much, he preferred to use Yahoo. I told him I was very uncomfortable that he used a freebie account and would take my business elsewhere.

I will not do business with anyone who can't use a real email address.

SYSTEMX

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Strange that these Regfly.com Execs just decided that anybody who has got their domains there just "Prayed" to be transfered out of ENOM and into Regfly.com registrar without asking, maybe I didn't want to be moved to the Regfly registrar company, does the customer have any say in this??????
:tape2:

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
SYSTEMX said:
maybe I didn't want to be moved to the Regfly registrar company, does the customer have any say in this??????

Sure. Just unlock your domain name using the registerfly interface, make sure
your contact details are updated, and start a transfer request with another
registrar instead.

That's assuming your domain name's in registerfly's reseller account with enom,
though.

But how many people even know how exactly this works? Unfortunately, not
that many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom