Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Registerfly

Status
Not open for further replies.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is meant as a warning regarding registerfly.

There are a very few people who -for some reason- stand behind registerfly, but the majority of domainers will agree that registerfly is one to AVOID.

Their lack of support, idiot techs, and idiot owner are truly a worthless group. The owner stole my money when his domain drop system wasn't working back in the beginning and refused a refund. Then, he locked out my account and I got a note that my domains were confiscated (fortunately, I was smart enough not to register any with them prior!) when I initiated a chargeback.

The owner could not even fix or understand the problem with his system -even after I explained in great detail to him and his worthless "support" techs.

I haven't needed to vent about them because I haven't had to deal with them in almost a year. But then, I purchase a network of sites a few months ago ...and to my dismay, the seller had all domains at registerfly.

Now, I've spent more than 3 months trying to transfer out the domains. The two(2) .coms went smoothly, but their system doesn't properly update .us domains (in bulk), and I was unable to make the necessary changes. It took a week for them to identify that each single domain must be updated individually. So, I did that.

Then, the transfers still never kicked off.

When I called them each time, I was insulted and they would say things like "the process is automated, so there's nothing we can do" or "did you check your email on the WHOIS?"

I told them I have transferred more than 1,000 domains. Do they REALLY think I didn't check the email on WHOIS? Do they REALLY think they are not responsible when every other registrars transfer process seems to work smoothly and theirs DOES NOT??

Finally, she told me "send an email to [email protected] and we'll put your email where it belongs" --that is word for word. I took that as it will be immediately deleted.

At any rate... THANK GOD for my main registrar. They were able to force the transfer through based on my emails and proof that registerfly was essentially holding my domains ransom for the renewal fees.

NEVER bother with a scam, small-time company like registerfly. In fact, they even lie about how many domains they handle, etc. Liars are not to be trusted with something as valuable as our domains.

</rant>

-Wesley

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like it when I transfer to enom and they leave the name visible in my registerfly account as well. Registerfly then email me that the name is about to expire and I have long since gotten rid of it from my enom account. I always wondered what would happen if I emailed them telling them the name is in my CP and I tried updating it but none of the changes work and I think someone may have hijacked something :-D

PS. Sorry to hear about your troubles, I cringe everytime someone tells me the name I am about to get is at registerfly.

Bender

Bending
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I lost 2 domains because of them...received the "renew now " emails, but couldn't login.
I entered the correct user&pass, but the response was "unable to locate [username]".
Using password recovery, I received the correct user&pass entered before.
When I spoke with their support people, they blamed ME that I used "illegal characters in the password field", and I couldn't login.
BTW: the password worked several times in the past.
Of course, their programmers are lazy, and cannot code a proper user submitted validation routine.
One more thing you may want to know: a regular support guy sees your password...there are no security levels or something like that, so don't make a support guy mad, or...

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I always wondered what would happen if I emailed them telling them the name is in my CP and I tried updating it but none of the changes work
Lol... yeah. I did that a couple of times. Usually within a day or two, they send a canned response saying that they apologize but "ICANN" did not update their database and blaming it on them.

Actually, though, I've had that problem with a lot of registrars lately. Even with namecheap (who I like), godaddy (who I kind of like), domainsite, etc. I don't think anyone bothers to fix that problem because it probably tricks some people in to renewing by accident.

I mean, registerfly managed to steal $10 from me that I sent via paypal to renew a name I was scared I was going to lose --only to find it had already been transferred out. They would not refund and I could not do a paypal dispute because they were holding my other domains ransom and I didn't want to lose them by disputing a payment before I got them away.

they blamed ME
Sounds typical. They basically treat their customers as if they are stupid. That is really unintelligent because they quickly isolate domainers like us who influence others with thousands of domains.

This is how I can say I believe they are lying about their domain numbers. I mean, how can a business like that stay in business for more than a few months?? It just doesn't make sense.

-Wesley

sealover

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wow I had a little problem with them 2 month ago when they froze my acc for no reason but they defrosted it after I mailed them.
I won't register more domains with them.

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have a name that expires in May 2005 that has already been released back in August & re-registered by a major domain buyer...
I have all of the documentation showing I have the name until May 2005....It has been over 3 months that I have been assured I will get my name back & still nothing....
As far as phone support goes they couldn't be less interested in your issues...it's like you are cutting into their valuable time - if you get through.
I have been a RegFly customer for many years, since their inception & I have reg'd hundreds of names with them & referred many clients to their services...not any more...I feel I am only being paid lip service regarding this loss of domain situation which is VERY important to me.
Most companies strive to maintain loyal customers...it appears this is no longer a goal with this company. All they are hoping is that they can get all new customers to transfer your names to them for $6 & hope you will stay....best of luck to those who do...
I still have about 150 names with them but I have begun to transfer them away...
...LOL..LeftRightOut...all of the domains that I have transfered so far are still showing in my accounts & I am getting renewal notices for them...They have been gone for months now...Also many names that I have allowed to expire still appear in the Expired Names in my account, even though some have been reg'd by someone else at another registry!
I must admit that this makes me a little nervous as I am not sure who is managing their database. So the mass transfer out continues.....
They have lost my loyalty. I can remember some time back being about the only positive voice they had on the forums...Someone else can wave that flag now...
Hard to believe how badly this company has digressed in the area of customer service....

Good Luck to those who fall for the $6 transfer in trap..
Jim

thekingz

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow, I like registerfly.com I have been using them for years and have not found any problem yet! I had more trouble at GoDaddy lol i don't like that place i say it need to be avoided lol!

Namecheap.com and registerfly.com my fav 2 register places!

I guess everyone has different opinions!

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
More importantly... different experiences.

I think you're having a good experience because you haven't tried to leave yet. That's when the nightmare begins.

Like a few others pointed out, they have your password in clear-text available to them --matched with your login username. Plus, they have control of your domains. This is not a pretty situation.

I feel badly for canucklehead. That experience just solidifies my suspicions that they are truly a scam that is stealing domains and selling them behind people's backs. I think that registerfly is probably behind a lot of the "stolen" domains being sold in the industry. Of course, that is pure speculation and conspiracy theory on my part, but I figured I'd mention it in light of some of the other shared nightmares.

Best of luck to all of you out there dealing with them!

-Wesley

websitedeveloper

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
thanks for this thread! but it has me very worried as my best domains are at regfly, including several 3-letter .coms and my favourites: www.sociopath.com and www.cbradios.com ...
I fell for the $5.50 transfer trap (will start transferring out ASAP to Fabulous.com @ $6.75)

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Naturally, I think that's a good idea, hitpro.

I didn't mention my fav registrar before because I didn't want to sound like my post was intended as promotional. But, if you have trouble, eNom and/or namecheap should be able to force them to give up the domains --if you can't get them to fabulous.

If they are .com's, then you shouldn't have too much trouble getting them over to fabulous. In most cases, my .com's transferred out without incident. But, if there's trouble with one extension, there could be trouble with others down the road... best not to chance it with a company like them.

Best of luck...

Wesley

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hitpro said:
thanks for this thread! but it has me very worried as my best domains are at regfly, including several 3-letter .coms and my favourites: www.sociopath.com and www.cbradios.com ...
I fell for the $5.50 transfer trap (will start transferring out ASAP to Fabulous.com @ $6.75)

Money very well spent on transfer out IMHO hitpro...
I have managed to get most of my most regarded names out of there so far as they have been there for more than 60 days......some that I have moved around from one RegFly account to another I am counting the days to get them out...
I swear 4+ years ago I never thought I would be making this post...
Yikes!
I see today they are announcing they are now ICANN accredited......OMG...just what they need, something to make people feel their names are secure there....
The dog & pony show continues....

Jim

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RegFly just got their ICANN accreditation.

We are pleased to announce that RegisterFly.com is now ICANN Accredited. Being ICANN Accredited provides an additional layer of reassurance to our 540,000+ customers as RegisterFly.com being their registrar of choice. You can be assured this recent change will only further improve the many products and services that RegisterFly.com offers. In addition to expansion of multiple products and services, we will become more aggressive in domain pricing to our valued customers. We will keep you posted as we move forward down this process.

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yep just got the "newsletter" as well.

Interesting that they are giving WHOIS protection away for free until end of May, is everyone going to jump at it?

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
LOL....

Jim

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hitpro said:
(just bookmarked your linksmile site - lots of useful stuff there!)
Thanks, hitpro. It's nice to feel like I got something just from venting... hah ;)

RegFly just got their ICANN accreditation.
Ack. Yeah, unfortunately an ICANN accreditation is something that can be easily achieved with time, paperwork, and money.

...additional layer of reassurance to our 540,000+ customers...
Wow. It must be nice to talk all that talk and have no conscience.

-Wesley

pelican

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i always try all my best to avoid registerfly. whenever i bought a domain which is at registerfly, i will transfer away immediately.

puravida

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
whenever i bought a domain which is at registerfly, i will transfer away immediately.
I hear this a lot...

So, can anyone shed some light on how they are still in business?

I mean, I run about two dozen businesses myself. All of them are honest, and it is a lot of work keeping the customers happy so that they can all remain successful.

It seems like registerfly can piss on their customers and still make money. I'd love to know how that works! :-O

Cheers,

Wesley

turboface

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thekingz said:
Wow, I like registerfly.com I have been using them for years and have not found any problem yet! I had more trouble at GoDaddy lol i don't like that place i say it need to be avoided lol!

Namecheap.com and registerfly.com my fav 2 register places!

I completely agree with you.

I give RegisterFly two thumbs up.

2thumbsup.gif

LeftRightOut

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
puravida said:
I hear this a lot...

So, can anyone shed some light on how they are still in business?

Chances are that they are full of non-pro customers who don't know better or see the $15-30 prices listed at other places and never get further than that to find out lower prices exist for resellers etc. Also people would do speculative registrations during sales just like at godaddy.

Plus i'm sure not everyone is having bad experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom