Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Registering a TM from obscure country

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjgallow

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I've registered a trademarked name from an obscure country which you wouln't even expect to have a registry.

It gets significant traffic, through typos. It would be the equivalent of registering, say:

pepsi.blah

In this case, am I correct that I can lose this name to the trademark holder?

Next question:

Is it okay to park it with Sedo, or someone similar, and generate Parked revenue, providing it does not advertise a similar product?

I am under the impression that if I avoid a similar product, or a defamatory one, I can generate revenue from the domain until the trademark holder has a problem with it.

At this point, is my greatest loss the domain, or do they sue me for millions?

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My first advice if to search "tm" and "trademark" in this forum, then read for many many hours.

If a product has an international presense (IE- Pepsi), then you will be likely to lose the domain. (Then again, the question needs to be asked how you TMed something like that?)>

When you park a domain that violates TM law, you are using it in bad faith.

"I am under the impression that if I avoid a similar product, or a defamatory one, I can generate revenue from the domain until the trademark holder has a problem with it."

This quote is too broad to be stated in it's current form... If the TM is unique in nature (IE-Pepsi), then there is almost no way to use the name wihtout violating TM law. If the TM can be considered "IE-generic" (IE- windows, apple), then usage of the domain will depend on catagory. When you genereate money, how are you generating it??? If you are only parking it, then it is never ok, but people get away with it. If you have a legitimate reason for using the name, then that is a different story (IE- Apples Fruit Stand).

Now, my favorite misconception...

People say, I only lose my domain, so what's the big deal? The reality is, you can lose all monies earned form the domain, you could pay the TMs expenses in defending thier domain, You could pay for the business lost by the TM holder, you can be fined up to $100,000 per occurance of a TMed domain... I'm sure theere is more you could lose. That is what could happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom