Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Registering famous peoples names

Status
Not open for further replies.

nstephens2k3

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what the issues and legalities are when registering a famous persons name as a dot com. (example: firstnamesecondname.com).

If the domain name hasn't been taken and you registered it, what are the chances that the famous person (or associates) will contact you and demand that you hand it over to them, or sell it at a very low price - obviously threatening lawsuit action.

Which brings me to my final question - is it worth (the hassle) registering a famous persons name.com? No hyphons - pure and simple firstnamesecondname.com.

Look forward to reading your replies - thanks!

DDC_Cyn

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's done all the time for fan sites, but as mentioned above, it's pretty easy for the name owner to take the name away anytime they want. I'm always surprised by actors and athletes, etc who don't own their own name. It's a cheap investment in your own career and it keeps others from exploiting it.

fab

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

marcorandazza

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Under the UDRP, if you register a famous person's name, that generally means you registered it in bad faith -- but not always. I have listed some decisions here:

http://randazza.wordpress.com/2007/09/22/personal-names-and-the-udrp/

The decisions are pretty inconsistent, but a *legitimate* fan site might be okay. However, if you are simply buying the domain as a good investment, that is probably bad faith.

Here is where you can get into real hot water: As Enrico pointed out above, the Salle v. Meadows case (which I handled) resulted in a pretty large attorneys' fees award against the defendant under 15 USC Sect. 1129. However, had the plaintiff been famous or well-known, it also would have resulted in cyberpiracy damages ($1,000 to $100,000) under 15 USC Sect 1117(d).

Finally, although Salle v. Meadows says that 1117(d) damages are not available to a plaintiff just because the domain was his personal name, the language in Section 1125(d) (the cybersquatting statute) suggests another interpretation.

Consider a "famous name" to be that famous person's trademark.

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's great to see the right conclusions and advice being offered in this thread. Goes to show how valuable a site like this can be when you have well-educated members sharing knowledge & experience. A definite advantage to the industry, and especially helpful to new domainers, when important guidelines get explained in this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom