Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Registering someone's tm by "coincidence"

Status
Not open for further replies.

lukeeales

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hypothetical scenario:

Is it illegal for me to register Travelodge.com, trademark wise? Odge is a word I made up, it's a nickname for Europe. So the domain means Travel Europe. Therefore this is legal.

........?

Is it always infringing on trademark/copyright if you have a domain such as above, even if it is "not intended" to profit from the larger company?

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, you can't use domains that are one or two letters different than a famous trademark and expect to avoid litigation or a WIPO suit. If you use a domain that is so close to a trademark, you will probably always lose, especially if you use it for the same area of commerce as the holder of the mark.

namedropper

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
lukeeales said:
Odge is a word I made up

Any defense against trademark infringement based upon such shoddy and ridiculous reasoning has no chance.

I mean, come on, get real.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For a famous trademark (e.g. Travelodge), it is difficult to convince the panel or judge that you have never heard of the name before and register something identical or confusingly similar.

lukeeales

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So if one did register a domain containing the name of such a well known company, what is the procedure? Do I get sued? Or is the account removed from my posession? Or... Can I just sell it on for a profit to that company?

I apologise if this has been covered elsewhere, but I can't find a thread with the information I need at the moment.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If they want the domain I believe the options are:

1) C&D you and hope you hand it over
2) Go to WIPO and launch a complaint
3) Go through the courts instead of WIPO
4) Try and buy the domain off you

Due to cost saving, MOST of the time they will C&D you first, and should you not hand it over, WIPO you. That would be the cheapest route I believe.

I'm not a lawyer though..

lukeeales

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Steen said:
If they want the domain I believe the options are:

1) C&D you and hope you hand it over
2) Go to WIPO and launch a complaint
3) Go through the courts instead of WIPO
4) Try and buy the domain off you

Due to cost saving, MOST of the time they will C&D you first, and should you not hand it over, WIPO you. That would be the cheapest route I believe.

I'm not a lawyer though..

What is C&D?

funkker

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
is there actually somebody who was really sued for trademark infrigment ?? and what was the result ?

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
funkker said:
is there actually somebody who was really sued for trademark infrigment ?? and what was the result ?

I have been sent four C&D letters.

One - they backed off after I scoffed at their C&D letter.

Another - I turned over the name. I thought I had a 50/50 chance at best to keep it.

Third - They bypassed WIPO and went straight to Federal Court after I had bowed to all of their demands except pay what they wanted in statutory damages. They got their domain, but not the extra money they wanted.

Fourth - Is in the works now. It is over a 3 LETTER name. I cannot say much more on the subject at this time, but will let you know the result.

-Bob

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bob said:
I have been sent four C&D letters.

One - they backed off after I scoffed at their C&D letter.

Another - I turned over the name. I thought I had a 50/50 chance at best to keep it.

Third - They bypassed WIPO and went straight to Federal Court after I had bowed to all of their demands except pay what they wanted in statutory damages. They got their domain, but not the extra money they wanted.

Fourth - Is in the works now. It is over a 3 LETTER name. I cannot say much more on the subject at this time, but will let you know the result.

-Bob

Bob, your back?!

Yay!

worldnames

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have seen an example where the big player comes out with major legal teams and threaten the individual but are willing to buy the domain/s at a reasonable price as in the end a few £100 or $ is better than a long drawn out expensive legal battle.

bladex5k

Been Around the Block
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
LoL, I think I'm just going to stick with unique domains, haha.

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if it goes through wipo, does the domain owner pay for the case if he/she loses?

HOWARD

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WIPO only has the power to cause the transfer of the domain. It cannot assess costs or damages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom