Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Registrars hoarding names for resale - within the ICANN rules ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

as i showed in an example here, there seem to be quite a number of registrars registering names for themselves only for the purpose of reselling them later for a higher price or that keep expired names from customers for the same purpose.

Since they're registrars, do such practices comply with ICANN regulations for registrars ?

I'd doubt it, as they gain an "unfair" advantage through their discount prices at the registry, but i don't know for sure - someone enlighten me please.

Thanks !

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The answer to your question lies in the fine prints among 3 parties, namely:

1. The registrars.

2. The Registries.

3. ICANN (or whomever the 1st 2 have contracted with).

If somebody here believes a registrar is violating its agreements with ICANN,
then use the complaint form and send specifics.

(Say, didn't you post this somewhere else? :-D)

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Let's look at the registrar agreement from ICANN:
http://www.icann.org/registrars/ra-agreement-12may99.htm

9. Registrar shall abide by any ICANN-adopted policy prohibiting or restricting warehousing of or speculation in domain names by registrars.

So registrars are not supposed to be 'stockpiling' names. But where do you draw the line ? 1000 names ? 10000 ? 1% of total portfolio. There is no easy answer.
Anyway, ICANN is teethless these days. Many registrars are in breach of agreement for one reason or another and ICANN don't seem to care.

D

Deleted member 5660

You need to read things a bit more closely ... "any ICANN-adopted policy" ... you see, if ICANN has not adopted any policies then there are no policies to follow. BUZZ you lose.

Besides, suppose there was an ICANN policy against it ... who is going to enforce it? BUZZ you lose.

You see you just can't win at the ICANN game.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So registrars are not supposed to be 'stockpiling' names.

Incorrect.

Take this fact:

1. You tell me: "I will abide by any law requiring me to wear pink underpants"

Now answer this question:

Do you have to wear pink underpants?

http://icann.org/meetings/marrakech/captioning-dn-27jun06.htm

>>CHUCK GOMES: I am Chuck Gomes with VeriSign, and I'm really not advocating any particular position. But I think that a correction I believe is necessary with regard to the R or RAA, Sarah, that you mentioned.
ICANN does allow for the development of a policy on warehousing names, and the language you are referring to I believe references that. But to my knowledge, there has never been any policy developed with regard to that.

Extra question for experts:

What are the odds that ICANN, which is funded on registration fees, is going to adopt a policy which discourages domain registrations?

(on edit: Your next hurdle is to define warehousing of or speculation in domain names. I guarantee you this. Once you have a definition of those terms, and a policy against it, there will be no registrars which engage in "warehousing of or speculation in" domain names." They will do something, of course, but the registrars will not engage in those defined things. At a minimum, they will set up another corporation which does.)

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They will do something, of course, but the registrars will not engage in those defined things. At a minimum, they will set up another corporation which does.)

Very true

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There's a definitive answer. Well-put, JB. It's all in the verbiage as usual. Some of these registrars are actually getting away with blue murder.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Uh oh - touched a soft spot there beatz?

I commented on this thread because your approach is hypocritical. In this thread you are ranting over how a registrar is hoarding domains without releasing them. In the thread that I opened - and to which you offered ample specimens of "advice" - you claim I have no right to complain over the same exact matter, a registrar holding onto a name I have lawful interest in.

Decide which one it is. As for antics over "stalking" I think you are getting ridiculous. Feel free to report me as well.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Nonsense.

This very thread was about indeed registrars hoarding names.

My point in the other thread was that - no matter how wrong it is that they're not releasing names in general - the question is why would *YOU* have any more rights to that name than other TM owners or even if you should be the only TM owner for the specific term it indeed doesn't equal automatic rights to that domain so i doubt you'd have a good chance to get that name with *that* strategy.

You're just not *neccessarily* the only one who might have a legitimate interest in the name in case should they release it.

Maybe you can get them to release it indeed but i'd doubt you have enough legal grounds to have the name *transferred* to you.

Just my personal opnion of course.

Anyway, i have no interest to further exchange opinions with you so i'll stop here.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Sorry beatz. The USPTO says otherwise. Have a GREAT day.

beatz

Cool Member
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well then why were there any questions like "do i have a case" anyway ?

You have a great day too.

As for the report - done it...as you probably know.

But i'll stop for real now :tape2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom