Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Reinstall XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
How often do you have problems with XP or windows in general? Since I have usually 3-5 computers in my house it seems like I am always having a reinstall every couple months. Last night my main desktop starting going nuts and so I tried a few things...eventually I tried a defrag cuz 50% of drive was fragmented. I know from past experience a defrag can screw a HD...well of course it did once again. I couldn't get the XP to boot. Eventually after 5 hours attempting to fix old XP I got a HD I had laying around and installed a fresh XP. I attached old drive as secondary so I have not lost anything but having to reinstall it all stinks. I think I just did this on this puter about 5 months ago.

This time I am going to do a dual boot system with FREEBSD and try to run KDE for my desktop as much as possible. Let's see how it goes.

Domain Days 2024

VisualDigits

The One
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Same here, Windows is very buggy but I don't wanna switch to linux.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well I prefer BSD. Also I think a dual boot is worth a try since I really want to move away from windows. The only reason I don't do a total change is because I play online games that are windows only.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
buy a Mac :)

Edder

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I get the occasional "Your hard drive (index) is dirty" message from time to time, but that usually results in a 15-25 minute scanning process before being able to boot the machine.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually why pay for mac when it basically runs freebsd as well. I am very familiar with bsd and decent with KDE. My preferred browser is Opera. I use basic text editors for my html and I don't mind learning GIMP. Like I said the only reason I can see keeping my windows is for gaming.

MrDude

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I set my computer up with Windows XP and XandrOS linux. I plan on replacing XandrOS with a distro which gives more control. I have a wifi card which has a chipset which no distro is able to support therefore its time to shop for a new one and within a month my PC will boot linux only (I have laptop for windoze :-()

For any of you linux addicts - Yes I have tried ndiswrapper and got a seperate PCMIA wifi card working on my laptop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom