Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Remember After about 3yrs ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

opencg

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
TIme flys was in 2000! That site nearly took great domains out of business!
Bring the old Afternic back!

Dr Nump

Call me Doc !
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Have to agree with you . These days Afternic is so suck , just remove all my domains there .

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was a member back in 2000/2001. Too bad they did not grandfather existing users when Afternic changed ownership.
Well I'm with Sedo now.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
The original Afternic (2000/2001) had owners that cared about the website. The design was good, and things happened. Lots of people hung out in chat, lots of friendships were made, and lots of deals were struck. Those were the days in which drop knowledge was known by a select few. You could get 2 LETTER and CHAR names by hand on a 56k dial-up modem. The owners of the old afternic frequently visited chat and you could talk with them directly about problems. The site was a hit.

Then, Register.com bought the site for cash and stock in a deal beleived to be about $48 Million. Register.com ran the site into the ground. They did not believe in support, and they put no effort forward to solve problems. Within 6-8 months the website became rampant with false bids, complaints, and was just a mess. Register.com must have received numerous complaints, but yet they refused to address the problems. Finally, the decision was made to close the doors of Aftenic in 2002 (?). Shortly after that, DNforum was founded. A lot of the members had stayed in touch and word quickly spread of the "New Domain Name Forum" - DNForum.com.

Register.com sold Afternic (the name only from what I understand, but I am not 100% sure about this) to the current owners, and thus the third generation Afternic (and its current state) was born.

-Bob

barefoot

Go barefoot!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Remember the discussion boards on the old Afternic? The way the threads would go on forever on a single page? You'd scroll and scroll until your finger got tired, just to view the entire thread! There was a ton of activity on those old boards, and a lot of very funny threads!

Dan

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The boards of today do not begin to compare with the success of the old ones as far as chat popularity and friendships go. I recall the late 90's when the afternic forum had 60 members in chat and great domains forum had 100 in chat, both at the same time! That was a regular happening in those days. The GD board was even more popular than Afternic at the time but they were both very well visited.

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As Bob pointed out, in the old days there were not so many people in the domain game. Today, every man and his dog is at it and thus the general community quality is diluted to an extent. You only have to look at the bandwidth at Afternic to see how little is being reinvested in it.

radioz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Guess that I'm not too sorry that I am just with SEDO and their parking service. It sounds stupid but the $19.95 fee kept me away while SEDO was free. It sort of seemed like having to pay $500 to a realtor to list your house or something.

Afternic's new (as of Aug. 14) does look a lot better than the one that I remember as of a few months ago and I don't see the prices to join. Maybe that changed; I don't know. I do believe that a fee to list was a mistake though. Their site wasn't very inviting to look at either which didn't impress me a lot either. Guess I wasn't the only one!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom