Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Renting out domains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Renting out domain names - is it a good or bad idea? Has anyone got any experiences of this?

Thanks

Ed

DotComster

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Better than keeping them idle. Even for free you lose nothing - domain just gets more popular and links. A friend of mine had his site blocked by his proxy by mistake - took 2 months to clear up. In that time he use a spare domain I had - then went back to his domain when the problem was resolved.

My domain is now back - and gets over 100 visitors daily because the site it used to replace was a huge forum.

Just mind they take good care of it while it's "rented" - if used for spam it can be fined. and you might also be held resoncible for anything the peopl who rent your domain do.

ebess

Domain Diva
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Make sure that you have a lawyer write up a contract wherin they agree to be held legally responsible for all the content on the site in the event that you are sued. I forget the correct legalise for it, but it is a fairly common type of clause

Also, I'd recommend getting 6 months rent up front. And the one thing that I wish I'd done last time was to put provisions in the contract for late fees if they stop paying you..

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Indemnity clause :)

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
(indemnity clauses aren't enough, though, as they might have insufficient assets to indemnify you from the risk; you'd want a clause whereby you can block content from appearing on the site that you deem, in good faith, to be illegal, etc.)

ebess

Domain Diva
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
very wise point, GeorgeK!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom