Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

reseller market weak of late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I look around the boards of late and it sure seems the buyers, at least on these boards are drying up. It seems often that we just trade names back and forth. Of late I'm seen a ton of "need money", going out of business" sales of late. That said its kinda rare that I see names I wish I had, often no matter how cheap the names are they just don't make since.

I look over my names and say I refuse to sale them cheap as I believe most are good terms, or workable for a site. Do others feel like this? I mean I hate when sales are slow, I will let a few names drop, order junk, but the names I like make little since to sale cheap, right? I mean I still looking for drops everyday. The worm will turn and this is a business, or it wont and it wont matter. Thank its just Christmas? The reseller market? I went throw a glut in a market once before and while others were dumping into a soft market we were buying cheaper, turning harder, and came out stong when things changed.

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Keshe,

You have a strong business mind. Buying is a little sluggish right now. It is probably due to Christmas being here.

As far as you NOT selling good names cheap, I think this is a good strategy. I have a lot of decent names (IMHO) that I refuse to sell at reseller prices. I look at the big picture. If I have to keep a name for even five years, is that so bad? Five years is a mere $35 in renewal fees. That is nothing in the big picture. It depends on your objective too. Some resellers take the turn and burn approach where they do not like to have a name for more than three weeks. There is nothing wrong with that strategy, but it is not my approach.

Lastly, I think one of the BIG factors is that most of the good names have dried up. Two years ago it was almost a crime to have an "e" name with a .NET. Now "e" and "e-" names with NET and ORG are commonplace. I doubt anybody would argue that the quality if names both in the drops and on the secondary market has significantly decreased. Also, two years ago, people were still stuck in the .COM craze. A lot of people had the foresight to accumulate one word .NET and .ORG because people would sell them cheap (due to the focus on .COM). If you were one of those people who stockpiled the NETs and ORGs, you have a GREAT portfolio right now and you are sitting on a goldmine(.org) :-D )

I could usually find a several names to purchase in the forums or on eBay every week. Now it is getting to the point where I am lucky if I fine one every two weeks (again due to the lack of good names drying up).

-Bob

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks for the time you spent on the length of your reply.

My approach is two pronged, in that I do turn and burn because cash flow is critical That said I think its silly to let a decent name go real cheap considering the work I put into it. I look back over the names that I perhaps sold too cheap, and most the time I would do it again. I've let some decent last name sites go for cheap, but my focus remains on domains that I could develop for the net. I feel like in most cases a site should be able to offer online delivery. And since names expire....well anyway

Anyway, names are all unique as we are all as well. Thats what makes a market.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by keshe I look around the boards of late and it sure seems the buyers, at least on these boards are drying up.

Are you talking about DNF or some other board perhaps? I have NOT noticed a slow down in sales at DNF. Im fact, the opposite. I am beaten all the time to names advertised on this board, often by a matter of minutes.

It seems there are a few players here (they also frequent DS) who constantly beat me to names. It has happened several times just in the past few days. Mostly because they are seemingly online all the time and spot the offers first due to that, or else timing luck.

It's also surprising how many really good type-in names are offered here for peanuts, and that's why they are grabbed so quickly. I.E. offering 2 really good type-in names for a mere $31. for both, or a good generic geographical type-in name likely worth about $500 or so, for only $81. These were examples which I have lost, plus many others.

Nexmax

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But thats what I'm talking about how cheap people are selling good names.

M

mole

Originally posted by keshe
But thats what I'm talking about how cheap people are selling good names.

That's why we are here on this board :-D

Resellers are good at getting good names for a low cost and through volume then sell off for a good reasonable profit. Of course, there are other people who pop in here who just hoarded hundreds of names in the past and find very little interested buyers and are now just trying to trim the fat.

The names I try to acquire (I should really stop now, I already have too many to develop in a lifetime) are pretty hard to get here. In all my time at DNF and in the sales forum, all I saw was one name I was interested in - a .org name that duke was keeping for ages until deciding to let it go for $79.

Most of my names are acquired through direct contact, and its not a cheap exercise by any measure.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole ....I already have too many to develop in a lifetime) are pretty hard to get here. In all my time at DNF and in the sales forum, all I saw was one name I was interested in - a .org name that duke was keeping for ages until deciding to let it go for $79. Most of my names are acquired through direct contact, and its not a cheap exercise by any measure.

Me too, too many to develop!

BTW, really curious what type of names u are looking for Mole, please let me know, as only finding 1 here is really surprising. Thanks.

M

mole

Originally posted by RealNames
BTW, really curious what type of names u are looking for Mole, please let me know, as only finding 1 here is really surprising. Thanks.

Why do you think I'm called mole, real? :cheeky:

Well, I do look for names that promote new namespace, e.g. why.info. But I believe the guy wants $15k for it :goofy:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom