Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Restrictions on ownership of .uk domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccollin

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I own a US based company... webhosting, domains, and a number of web properties - forums, e-commerce, etc.. I am discussion the purchase of a UK based business that has a .uk domain, and includes hosting and domain customers, all handled via .uk entities. I looked at buying a .ca (canada) site a while back and found that I could not own the domain. This led me to abandon the idea of buying the site, as the risk of not owning the domain wasn't something I wanted to deal with. In this case the site's main url isn't anything special so it isn't a show stopper, but I'd like to know if I can take this domain and the web assets without any issues.

Thanks!

unclewilco

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the only restrictions on owning a co.uk is the antiquated transfer malarky you have to go through (and the extra costs), but otherwise its great! and i would recommend it to anyone!...

:cheeky:

mccollin

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
unclewilco said:
the only restrictions on owning a co.uk is the antiquated transfer malarky you have to go through (and the extra costs), but otherwise its great! and i would recommend it to anyone!...

:cheeky:

Can you expand on "antiquated transfer malarky"?

In this case I would be taking over the reseller account in which I believe the .uk domains are contained... so they may not have to be transferred even.

unclewilco

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mccollin said:
Can you expand on "antiquated transfer malarky"?

In this case I would be taking over the reseller account in which I believe the .uk domains are contained... so they may not have to be transferred even.

i did not mean to sound sarky... just had a hassle with Nominet...

but
you will have to change ownership of the names with Nominet.

all the info is here..
http://www.nic.uk/MakingChangesToYourDomainName/Transfer/

regards

wilco

jasper

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
unclewilco said:
i did not mean to sound sarky... just had a hassle with Nominet...

but
you will have to change ownership of the names with Nominet.

all the info is here..
http://www.nic.uk/MakingChangesToYourDomainName/Transfer/

regards

wilco

Yes cost and paper based process of transfering UK domains is one of its down sides - still a great market at the moment tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom