Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Rising domain valuations

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Quote from DNJournal.com's this week's sales report:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
In an interesting illustration of how domain valuation has been rising, Dotcom Agency owner Ian Andrew told us that the domains they've sold over the past three months totaled 134 times the annual revenue those domains had been producing! Everyone thought Marchex set the benchmark when they paid about 8.5 times annual earnings for the Ultimate Search portfolio last year, but I'm sure domain owners would rather use Andrew's yardstick!

Interesting !!!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Indeed - shows that the valuation model that is based on traffic revenue alone is inherently flawed. Keyword domains that can be developed can now sell for xxx times their monthly earnings.

DomainEngineer

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:
Indeed - shows that the valuation model that is based on traffic revenue alone is inherently flawed. Keyword domains that can be developed can now sell for xxx times their monthly earnings.

I agree with you 100%. I have never sold a domain based on ppc earnings so far.

Thanks.

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Today was a good day. I received two enquiries on two different names today and neither one has any substantial traffic. One has a decent offer awaiting my approval. Traffic is but one factor to determine value. Sometimes we can only guess at a potential buyer's motivation.

gdurni

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
the domain valuation model is quite similar to real estate

income properties sell for a capitalization rate, this is relative to the net income of the property and the multiple you are paying. Between the income and the speculation comes a price.

domains seem to have many of the same properties.
real estate has taxes, domains have yearly registration fees.
Many plays are purely speculative.

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
these prices are getting crazier and crazier - telescopereviews.com - $4,000!!!???

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
rickkumar said:
Quote from DNJournal.com's this week's sales report:
In an interesting illustration of how domain valuation has been rising, Dotcom Agency owner Ian Andrew told us that the domains they've sold over the past three months totaled 134 times the annual revenue those domains had been producing! Everyone thought Marchex set the benchmark when they paid about 8.5 times annual earnings for the Ultimate Search portfolio last year, but I'm sure domain owners would rather use Andrew's yardstick!

Interesting !!!

Heck, I've been getting over 134 times annual revenue on a bunch of my names earning around 5 cents. Wish it covered renewal costs.

I'm a buyer too. I'll buy any of your names for $1mill each if you let me set the terms.

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agreed 100%. I've just sold a generic .co.uk keyphrase for approx. 300 times annual revenue in a high 4-figure deal, and as far as I am able to tell, the buyer seems very satisfied with their purchase because they have plans to benefit from the niche-defining genericness of that keyphrase.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Edwin said:
Agreed 100%. I've just sold a generic .co.uk keyphrase for approx. 300 times annual revenue in a high 4-figure deal, and as far as I am able to tell, the buyer seems very satisfied with their purchase because they have plans to benefit from the niche-defining genericness of that keyphrase.

Hey Edwin Where do you find these niche-defining genericness keyphrase domain buyers anyway? :clown:

Edwin

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They come to me.

Incidentally, I left this out of the earlier post "In fact, current revenue wasn't even a factor in the negotiations."

financialtraffic

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
RADiSTAR said:

Right... Tell that to members here who often bid at 5-10 times the monthly revenue on some of the keyword domians I've offered.

I have had great luck selling to commercial domain buyers outside of this forum. I can't name them here, but they are some of the larger companies and they've paid up to 36 months revenue.

It strictly depends on whom you're selling to and why they are buying. You get lucky when a big company wants your domain for development purpose. But if they want it just for parking, you're still looking at low-ball bids, most of the time.

Everyone wants to buy for nothing and sell for everything. But sooner or later you'll run out of buyers if you charge those rates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom