Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Robotic Lawnmower Controlled Via the Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Robotic Lawnmower Controlled Via the Internet--Source: Reuters; Massey University

The internet, viewed as the ultimate source of information, may soon be a vehicle for managing domestic grunt work. Researchers in New Zealand developed a robotic lawn mower that is monitored through a web page and a small camera on the side of the house.

"What our technology allows us to do is to control lawnmowers and other robotic devices while people are away at work," Massey University's Glen Bright told Reuters.

The electric mower is smaller and more compact than the average mower. It cuts in a pattern that allows it to stop in areas that need trimming. The computer entirely directs the machine that motors out once during the day and once at night.

The mower should be up and trimming by the end of the year and commercially available soon after that, Bright told Reuters. As it is currently programmed, the device requires physical boundaries to navigate the lawn, but researchers expect it to self-navigate by the end of the year. Plans are also in the works to include the ability to adjust to different grass heights and to complete gardening tasks such as soil testing.

The mower was developed in association with lawnmower and chainsaw company Husqvarna, part of the Sweden-based AB Electrolux home appliance maker. The next step is an automatic vacuum cleaner, Bright added.

I read that story yesterday on MSNBC and thought "how are they going to do that w/uneven lawns or roots sticking up from trees?" I don't see this being a craze but who knows. I wonder how that would work around decorative plants like rosebushes, flowers, etc. They need to make sure they program it to chase off unwanted pooping neighbor dogs too.

:)

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No kidding lol...and what about small children and pets? Seems dangerous to me. They better figure out some way to detect moving objects or it could be a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom