Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Rookie Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gbrott

Great forum guys, I'm glad I found it.

Quick Question: Is there a standard time frame for the expiration date - to the on hold date - to the release date?

If I see "Record expires on 16-Mar-2002" , about what day will this domain actually be available?

I signed up for domainsbot, but it looks like you guys prefer the other services? What do you like best?

I appreciate your help!

Domain summit 2024

domnet

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Typically 60 days although it depends on the registrar. Who is it registered with?

Originally posted by gbrott
Quick Question: Is there a standard time frame for the expiration date - to the on hold date - to the release date?
No standard time.

Some registrars will drop expired domains in 45 days, some in less, and some seemingly never.

Who is the Registrar?

-t

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thewitt is right, there is so standard time, i know of domains that should of dropped 2 years ago, aug 2000

This chart used to be pretty accurate (http://www.snapnames.com/deleteprocess.html), but the "on-hold" period (aka the 'grace' period?), especially for Netsol, can be way longer than 45 days. Lately, some names seem to spend longer than 5 days in the "purge" period, too.

There's talk at ICANN of mandating a standardized grace period, but I'm not sure where in the process that proposal is - early, I think.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
wow i found another one.....should of dropped in nov 1999. wowowowowowowowowowowow

ad-lib

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I think the better the domain, the longer it remains on hold.
While the garbage domains, can be released immediately following there expiration date.

M

MattyP

Originally posted by MC Juice
I think the better the domain, the longer it remains on hold.
While the garbage domains, can be released immediately following there expiration date.

I think your observations are correct.

I do wonder though who decides, at the registrars, what names are garbage or not.

Have they someone checking their daily expiring domains and saying " Oops there's a good one " and they put it on hold?

What is the point on keeping names on hold for sometimes years?

domainer111

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It depends on the registrar.

If it non-NSI - My own experience has been it will take 30-45 days to drop. Some are very sharp - close to 30 days.

Concerning the NSI names, it seems to be getting faster, possibly 60 days to actual drop.

On list providers, there are loads.

LocalWhois.com allow you to download the lists on to your pc - which makes it easier to scan through all the names if you just import them into a spreadsheet.

Maybe now you can also do that with Domainsbot though I am not sure.

If your looking for lists of recently expired domains, please visit http://www.domain-names-for-sale-e.com where there are some nice enough free domains after the drops.

Hope this helps and happy domaining,

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators