Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

closed Russian Cities xn--80adxhks.net Moscow

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Please appraise the following Russian City IDN, posted with North American Overture Scores:

xn--80adxhks.net москва Moscow 4248
xn----7sbeiiaxicf0a0apbflidw.com санкт-петербургский St Petersburg 175
xn--e1afugi.com питер St Petersburg 579
xn--90absbknhbvge.com новосибирск Novosibirsk 3331
xn--b1acdfjbh2acclca1a.com нижний новгород Nizhny Novgorod 1359
xn--b1acdfjbh2acclca1a.net нижний новгород Nizhny Novgorod 1359
xn--80acgfbsl1azdqr.com екатеринбург Yekaterinburg 2962
xn--80aaa0cvac.com самара Samara 2467
xn--j1adfn.com омск Omsk 1240
xn--80aauks4g.com казань Kazan 2047
xn--90ahkico2a6b9d.com челябинск Chelyabinsk 1663
xn--80a1bd.com уфа Ufa 1188
xn--80addag2buct.com волгоград Volgograd 1559

victorhugo

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Dwrixon,

Excuse my newbie OT question, but what's the meaning of "xn--80adxhks"? Does't mean that when you type it in your browser you'll see Moscow instead of xn--80adxhks if you've got a cyrillic configuration?
J-M

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
victorhugo said:
Hi Dwrixon,

Excuse my newbie OT question, but what's the meaning of "xn--80adxhks"? Does't mean that when you type it in your browser you'll see Moscow instead of xn--80adxhks if you've got a cyrillic configuration?
J-M

Victor,

These are IDN domains. For a great deal more information on the subject please visit www.IDNForums.com

In brief, the xn--80adxhks is ACE encoding often referred to as punycode. The punycode is strictly the bit after the double hypen.

You need an IDN browser to use these names. EI 6.0 notably is not IDN enabled, but you can get a pluggin at www.idn-now.com. IE 7.0 will be IDN enabled and is due to go Beta 2 in December.

If you type-in or cut and paste local Unicode characters such as the cyrillic alphabet into the address bar, the browser converts them to the ACE string which then resolves through DNS. You register the punycode rather than the local characters which it represents. To display any local characters the fonts need to be installed in your operating system. With Windows only Far East Characters and Left to Right Script are not installed as default, if you want these you need to go to Regional and Language options were you have the option to install them. Alternatively, you can just copy font files into the Windows folder. This may be used for Unicode fonts that are not on your installation disk.

In the last 24hrs we have started to get traffic converting at Sedo from Chinese domains of this type and are getting up to 200 uniques per day for some domains.

The best place for registering these domains is www.domainsite.com which is properly IDN enabled, so you just search on pasted or typed local characters and it automatically converts to the ACE string before registration.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

victorhugo

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Wow!

Many thanks Dave, I just learned something very interesting. :)

J-M

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
victorhugo said:
Wow!

Many thanks Dave, I just learned something very interesting. :)

J-M

Glad to be of help, but there as with everything else there is a lot more to learn, which is why the www.IDNforums.com is so useful. You might like to start by having a look at www.wikipedia.org which gives some very useful local character translations. Anyway, if you have more questions do not hesitate to ask.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, there is a lot of interest in those. The problem is that most people can read french totally adequately without the accents. Even the Czechs who have a lot more accents than you comfortably drop them when they are texting or messaging. This means you IDN will always have to compete with ASCII characters.

With Chinese, Japanese, Arabic, Hindi and even Russian, the browser has a stark choice. Either type-in what you know, or learn a foreign language. If you are expecting to do successful e-commerce on the basis of presuming that all your customers are prepared to learn a foreign language, then it is doomed to failure when others are prepared to accommodate their customers. Some believe that phonetic transcriptions will get around the problem, but the truth is that with Languages like Chinese, for each unique set of Kanji characters there will be several ASCII transcriptions. If these people wanted to read and write Pinyin all the website and searches would be in Pinyin. They are not. There is no acceptable substitute for the actual local characters. We have already proved that the Chinese are typing in IDN dot coms into the address bars in substantial numbers and it would seem that it is inevitabe that this will grow until ASCII character addresses are but a distant memory.

Best of luck with your accented domains.

No, I am afraid there is not but if you PM Olney I sure he might be pursuaded to do something for the Latin/European Market.
Dave Wrixon

netdevil said:
Yeah and this domains here are for appraisals.

So normal user wouldn't have this much knowledge. About IDN enabled browsers.

Let me know if I am wrong.

No, but then they don't need to. Once their browser is IDN enabled which will happen anyway once they are automatically upgraded by XP Service Pack 2 or later, then all they do it type into the address bar in exactly the same manner as someone would a conventional dot com. The only difference being is their habitual language and their local language keyboard.

Somebody in Russia will use a Cyrillic Keyboard that generates cyrillic characters, and enables them to spell the term the way they were taught at school. The browser then converts to ACE and the DNS resolves it without them having any knowledge of what is going on or even giving it a second thought. Bit like a my Ex driving a car!

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Rubber Duck

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
netdevil said:
I live in India. But would never even dream of using a hindi keyboard. This names are also not 3 or 4 characters words. So their value after 10 years is reg fee or something less.

Thanks.

Well the Indian Government position on this is that Indic scripts are essential to the development of the internet in India because most people cannot speak, read or write English. Of course they will no doubt show deference to your more informed opinion.

I also do not understand your point on 3 or 4 characters. (Incidentally, we have a lot of single characters). The value of a word is dependent on being understandable, memorable and being a used keyword. Business.com as you will note has more than 4 characters but that didn't greatly reduce its value.

Best Regards
Dave Wrixon

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom