Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Safe response to unsolicited purchase offers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meridian66

- x ɐ l ǝ ɹ -
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

How do you normally respond to an unsolicited offer to purchase a domain name if it is not for sale and you have no intention of selling it? I normally either:

a) Ignore the email, or
b) Write a short, polite reply indicating it is not for sale.

I have never had any followup legal issues with this, but have recently had contact from a law firm acting on behalf of a client. How can I best respond to such unsolicited offers safely, minimizing the risk of subsequent issues in case I need to respond to a UDRP filing from someone determined to obtain the name?

Thanks,
Mer.

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
as a rule of thumb, you can't ignore a c&d

TheLegendaryJP

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Clarity is needed.

UDRP or offer to purchase, which is it ? Perhaps both issues ?

Meridian66

- x ɐ l ǝ ɹ -
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
UDRP or offer to purchase, which is it ? Perhaps both issues ?

Offers to purchase. So far I've never had a UDRP or C&D in over 5 years of owning the domain despite a regular trickle of unsolicited purchase offers. However, I've noticed a few related TM registrations over the years, and a new one just a few months ago, so I'm sure to face a challenge by someone eventually.

I'm trying to be as careful as possible so as to continue to own and use the domain. It would be a major hassle if I lost it due to the fact that I have a nuimber of important and long-established email addresses using the name. I'm not sure what I'd do if the domain was taken away. Maybe I should be preparing a defense in advance?

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
For unsolicited offers of domains not for sale, I respond by saying I have no interest in selling the domain, and currently am in the midst of developing the domain. However, I would listen to offers for the domain.

As far as ignoring C+Ds, I would never suggest doing so, you need to state your case upfront iof it is a good domain and you can show good faith registration. IF you are obviously squatting, then dont answer and let legals take thier course.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Because they can't catch you...yet. :tongue1:

And how exactly they are supposed to "catch me" ? I think FBI/CIA/NSA/whoever has now other tasks than some guy sitting in China monetizing typos...

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Denny...yer a trip bro.

As for OP. Keep all these email offers in a file just in case you do get a C&D later from them because you don't sell. I would consider their offer proof you have legitimate rights to the domain that they recognize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom