Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Sale trend and buying strategy

Status
Not open for further replies.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I hope this will hep you:

The other day I discussed with a fellow domainer and both we had to admit we were ONLY getting domain purchase offers for the most expensive of our domains.
Those names one generally prefer to keep and/or have no urgency to sell.

Myself the domain I sold for the lowest price was a dot org sold for 100K. This give you an idea of the scale.
For privacy reasons I cannot disclose the domains sold but I will say that basically we can range these domains in 2 pools:

a - Domains with top ranking in Google or Yahoo.
These domains are rarely nice names.
They may have several hyphens, numbers, be very long, be really ugly, ...
They are small sites (generally only with SEO content) that are top ranked for a keyword where there is a lot of advertising competition.
Exactly the kind of domains you can submit for certification at PremiumDomain.com and will NEVER be declared as Premium.
(as you see it's not because you don't own a premium you cannot do BIG sales).

b - Generic domains with a high "domain score".

Only dot com and dot org were sold (80% / 20%).

The buyers of (a) were ALL end users at the difference of (b) were a significant percentage were domain investors.
This can means that end users are looking for REAL and SIGNIFICANT traffic, they trust what they see: good rankings!
At the inverse domain investors look likes more interested by direct navigation with nice popular generic domains.

I do not own any typo so I cannot talk about buyers interest for typos.

Buying strategy:

(a) We continue to work the SEO of our domains to acheive top ranks.
I do not buy directly top ranked sites for 2 reasons:
- SEO is volatile.
- Owners are rarely buyers.

(b) Maybe you noticed my attempt to purchase domains scored over 700 for a 10 years search type in revenue.
The idea was to can continue feeding (b) buyers and not as many may have think as a long time investment.
The demand is STRONG and the market offer LOW.
You can check that even Monte at TRAFFIC had a very low % of those domains for sale.

And you, what is your sale trend and buying strategy?

PRED

Level 11
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Myself the cheaper domain I sold these last 6 months was a dot org sold for 100K."

just quoting this...... not sure i quite understand this statement?

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I rewrite the sentence so it's maybe more clear for readers.
I wanted to write that I did not sold any domain under $100,000

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wanted to write that I did not sold any domain under $100,000

I interpret that to imply you rarely if ever manage to sell any of your domains?

Or do you own many top notch super premium names?

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Trader,

For the (b) sales:

To buy these premium domains in the high middle range what is done is first locate the domains (domain scores starting from 650) and after contact the owners.
Generally the domain is purchased between 5 to 30K after days or months of negotiations.
You can also locate such domains in some marketplaces, sometime these idiots are basing their domain pricing in the acquisition cost and not the domain value so you can make very good deals if you forget to be idiot.
After the only you have to do is wait domain investors (those that have the money and know very well about domain value), own PremiumDomains.com helps.
In fact all the game is be enough clever to be the first and buy these premium names to people that are not in the domain business.
The first that do it can make 10 to 30 times his investment in just few weeks/months.

keyser

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
François,

Here is my friendly advice : do not think that we, "experienced" domainers, do not know how to make money with our virtual assets. Each word Trader used was carefully chosen and you should not take it literally. I think (so maybe I am wrong) he just means that he has some doubts on those sales you "made", because when you LOVE the domain business for YEARS, you know the whois (privately reg'd or not) by heart.

Even if I am not fund of your "aggressive" marketing tactics to promote your appraisal services (Btw old timers here already have a perfect idea of their assets worth - but I guess your not targeting them with premiumdomains.com), I appreciate your energetic way and hardwork to make your business dreams coming real.

So I am sure by being a bit more "humble", you will experience much more success with your online activities. Do not forget that domainers, especially "successful" ones, have an hypertrophied ego. So there is no need to reinvent the wheel at each of your posts :D

That was the tip of the day from a fellow froggie, pleased to see more compatriots interested in domaining and related stuff :)

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Colbert,

I am not sure to understand what you want to tell me.
I shared the sale trend I am seeing and kindly tell you about my buying strategy.
I was simply expecting others share their own experience.
You know that 4 eyes see better than 2 and 8 more than 4, ...
I am sure that you have a different experience then I have and for sure I should be interested to read it.
Its' only exchanging experiences, ideas, strategies we learn and should do better.
That's sure it's easier to play the egoist, don't share nothing and simply complaint...

I am not better than you and better than another domainer here.
At the inverse, even if I made very huge benfices I see that most of these low /middle scored domains I purchased don't find buyers.
So probably +70% of my generic domain purchased should be worked with SEO and sold in tha (a) pool that requires more work and has more risks.
Thanks to have stopped and analyzed results I better know the signature of the domains to buy and I deliver you my secrets.
And If I post my experience is because I hope others post their and that I could learn from their experience.

keyser

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not sharing my experience about my buying strategy here, we all have the same one : buy cheap, sell high ;)
Concerning the trend, it seems obvious too : people are interested in our best names, quite logic right ?

I just tried to help you having a better understanding of your market : domainers. I might be wrong, so I give the word to other dnf members about "buying strategy" and trends.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
François,

Here is my friendly advice : do not think that we, "experienced" domainers, do not know how to make money with our virtual assets. Each word Trader used was carefully chosen and you should not take it literally. I think (so maybe I am wrong) he just means that he has some doubts on those sales you "made", because when you LOVE the domain business for YEARS, you know the whois (privately reg'd or not) by heart.

Even if I am not fund of your "aggressive" marketing tactics to promote your appraisal services (Btw old timers here already have a perfect idea of their assets worth - but I guess your not targeting them with premiumdomains.com), I appreciate your energetic way and hardwork to make your business dreams coming real.

So I am sure by being a bit more "humble", you will experience much more success with your online activities. Do not forget that domainers, especially "successful" ones, have an hypertrophied ego. So there is no need to reinvent the wheel at each of your posts :D

That was the tip of the day from a fellow froggie, pleased to see more compatriots interested in domaining and related stuff :)

Well, I've stumbled on a few of Francoise's names in research and they were "super premiums". He may not have as large a portfolio as Rick, but the 2 names I stumbled on would well sell over $250K.

My buying strategy lately has been simple... buy 4 letter .coms, buy emerging technology names, and buy keyword .orgs that fit the extension. I no longer sell to endusers. NP is my main home and I haven't sold there in a year and a half. It's hard not to sell sometimes though, but i think a HOLD is the best thing right now. THe big boys rarely sell there names now.

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My buying strategy is based on a couple of things:

1. My limited budget
2. My limited budget :cheesy:

Honestly I am focusing mostly on .ca names right now because I am Canadian and because there are still a lot of really good keyword names available for reg fee or not much above... I like to pick up cheap .ca names from TBR that have traffic and backlinks and I like to reg .ca domains that have high overture and lots of search engine results for the keyword...

I have submitted a few names to premiumdomains and of the 7 that are considered premium by your system 6 are .ca...

As far as selling goes I am seeing a bit of a trend in "brandable" names, lots of requests for these, some sales as cybertonic knows... I had a nice offer on a brandable .ca recently but decided to hold it for now, I am confident that .ca domains will continue to increase in value...

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Trader, For the (b) sales: To buy these premium domains in the high middle range what is done is first locate the domains (domain scores starting from 650) and after contact the owners.
Generally the domain is purchased between 5 to 30K after days or months of negotiations.
You can also locate such domains in some marketplaces, sometime these idiots are basing their domain pricing in the acquisition cost and not the domain value so you can make very good deals if you forget to be idiot.
After the only you have to do is wait domain investors (those that have the money and know very well about domain value), own PremiumDomains.com helps.
In fact all the game is be enough clever to be the first and buy these premium names to people that are not in the domain business.
The first that do it can make 10 to 30 times his investment in just few weeks/months.

Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what that all means or how it is related to you never selling domains for under 100k?

keyser

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I have absolutely no idea what that all means or how it is related to you never selling domains for under 100k?

Each word Trader used was carefully chosen and you should not take it literally. I think (so maybe I am wrong) he just means that he has some doubts on those sales you "made", because when you LOVE the domain business for YEARS, you know the whois (privately reg'd or not) by heart.

It seems that both of us have problems to be understood.
Francois, it is not a question about sharing an experience that everyone is already aware of, but about your $100,000 domain sale(s) you mentioned.

PeterMan

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
From reading the original post I think what cybertonic means is that lately he is seeing a trend towards the sales (or the potential sales due to offers) of very valuable names. I think he was using the $100k sale as an example of that trend...

To paraphrase:

He is only getting offers on his most valuable names and he does not really want to sell those ones right now...

I may be wrong, and I apologize if I am confusing the issue... That is what I took from the statement anyway...

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
cyber

if you can start a thread here on DNf without mentioning your service in the post, just one time, then maybe i and others won't continue to take it as a another "self-serving" attempt to promote your site.

perhaps then you could get some answers.

just my opinion!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I too brag a lot when I am drunk.

DomainingCom

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just come back and see that finally people are most positive and speak about their own experience which is interesting, thanks.

-X-,

Myself I only started buying few of these short readable dot com recently.
In my short domainer life I allways purchased generics.
I only realized recently the interest of these short "brandable" names to can create "identity". Generics do not offer this characteristic.
I am purchasing this type of names to can choice a name when I will need to launch a new service and not as domains for resell.
The "super premiums" are those scoring +800 and that potentially worth +1 million dollar. (Unfortunately) I do not own any of these domains. My best one is scored 762.
No these premium domains (b) I am talking above and that I sold +100K are all domains scoring between 650 and 720. What I personally call Premiums in the high MIDDLE range.

Colbert,

Yes, I missunderstood, sorry.
I only sold domains over 100K these last 6 months. I confirm again.
An example for each type of pool:
(a): home-building-directory dot com sold 125K
(b): Contractors dot org sold 100K
This is the reason I think why I did not submit any of my premium domains to be sold at the TRAFFIC auction (which by the way I found a great opportunity for buyers/sellers).
Monte makes me afraid insisting that domainers set low reserve prices on the domains they want to sell.

Elivate,
It's discussing with this domainer that I realized that him as me , both, we are only getting purchase offers for our best domains and absolutely nothing for the others.
I remember having said: we need to take care what we buy and only focus on the acquisition of great names and don't be compulsive buyers.
And Yes even if I sold severals, I refused a good amount of fair offers for my premium because I know they are domains of "sure value".
At any time I sell them and make +20 times my investment but I want to make much more.

Biggedon,

Is there a way I can express me without having someone allways saying I am advertising my services.
The "domain score" it's the CORE of my valuation and I use it everytime:
To compare domains, to quickly valuate domains , to classify domains, ...
I cannot explain how I work without talking about.

A quick note to say it's ABSOLUTELY NOT a personal valuation method !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's EXACTLY the same each domainer is using HERE when he said:
- OVT of ...
- Indexed x times in Google.
The "domain score" is simply an exponential number between 0 an 1,000 sumarizing the domain metrics:
- Readability
- Term frequency
- Search popularity
- TLD value
That's ALL!
There is no Francois opinion in the "domain score".
No there is any intention to advertise any of my free services.

GAMEFINEST

PURE SAVAGE
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So are you asking us what we are buying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom