Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Same experiment, 2 different outcomes and how they think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I joined 2 skydiving forums with the intention of notifying the community that skydiving.me was available to whoever was interested. I made no attempt to conceal my reason for joining. My only pitch was mentioning the domain. One of the moderators in the first forum was kind enough to send me a pm saying they had a classifieds section which would be the appropriate venue for me to post an ad. I was grateful.

Now on the other forum, I got 2 responses:

1st: If you have no affiliation to skydiving why did you buy the name?
2nd: A quick way to profit I assume. I doubt it will work.

I informed them I was a domain investor and felt the domain made sense for the skydiving enthusiast. My thread was deleted in a swift millisecond. They probably felt I was taking advantage of their forum. Which I understand. But it seems they were so caught up with not wanting to be taken advantage of that they couldn't see what I was offering. I didn't mention a price. I didn't even pitch.

This is exactly how the majority who don't understand the domain business think. It's a shame. It's been about 15 or 16 years since the internet grabbed the public's consciousness. And people still don't get the relevance of investing in a moderately decent domain for their personal or business goals, whether present or future. Even if domain traffic is downtrodden by this new age of ubiquitous apps, the value of domains will still go up because of the unavailability of good names.

I wonder how they would have reacted if I pretended to be some skydiving pro with a failing business, who was just looking to sell the only asset he had left to keep him afloat.

INFORG

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is probably the same response that members here would give to one of them if they joined DNF just to pimp skydiving classes :)

I don't fault you for trying this angle, but you really can't be surprised over that rather mild negative response you got.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the MOD responses you would get at NamePros - admonishment, thread deletion, kicked off of the forum - vs DNF - PM notifying you that your thread had been moved to the proper section.

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
True 2ga.

Namepros doesn't sound like a fun forum per your description there Doc.

randomo

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Years ago, before most of today's forums existed, I posted on some newsgroups to offer domains that were targeted for people who enjoyed those activities. (The domains were in the form of ILove[Activity].com) It was a clear sales pitch with prices included. Boy, did I get savaged for it. I finally apologized and offered the domains for free. Still no takers!

Infoproliferati

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Years ago, before most of today's forums existed, I posted on some newsgroups to offer domains that were targeted for people who enjoyed those activities. (The domains were in the form of ILove[Activity].com) It was a clear sales pitch with prices included. Boy, did I get savaged for it. I finally apologized and offered the domains for free. Still no takers!

You're kidding... No takers???? Wow!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom