Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

SCAM: Domain Verification Bureau

Status
Not open for further replies.

123domainname

One of my clients were called by a company on Friday that kindly told them that someone wanted to register "theirdomainname".com and co.uk and they would release it at 5pm that day unless our client came up with a 2 year registration fee of £200 + VAT or £400 + VAT for 5 years!!!

Interestingly enough, the domains they claim to be able to release are actually on our DNS Server and aren't even due to expire for another year or so! :eek:

The company is called the Domain Verification Bureau, based at Old Gloucester Street London and the chap who called my client was a Steve Verde.

I phoned the legal department at Nominet and they advised me that of course this is not legit and asked me to forward all the information I had on them. Just wanted to let you all know.

Anyone else heard from them?

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey - DROE are based at Gloucester Road. Any coincidence?

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
On a more serious note, 123, this is cold hard fraud. You should contact the Fraud Office IMMEDIATELY. Do you have their phone number - they probably did 141 to withhold didn't they?

Also, contact Watchdog ([email protected]), and the Trading Standards (tradingstandards.gov.uk - but make sure you speak to them by phone!).

123domainname

Just to keep you all up to date. I have now taken the following actions:

Contacted Nominet's legal department
Contacted Office of Fair Trading
Contacted Trading Standards
Contacted Scotland Yard's Computer Crime Bureau (where I have a friend and they take this kind of thing very seriously)

I hope I've done at the necessary as a good registrar would do.

Incidentally I pretended when I spoke to them I was very interested. That's how I got their address and phone number and some contact names (which I passed directly on to all of the above).

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators