Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Schapelle got 20 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Schapelle Corby was just now sentenced to 20 years jail in Bali

domaintalk

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Who was he? What did he did?
Please post that so the newbies can know.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
domaintalk said:
Who was he? What did he did?
Please post that so the newbies can know.
She was accused of smuggling 4kg of marijuana into Bali - the reality is that it doesn't make much sense to smuggle marijuana into a country where it's freely available and cheap. I spent time in Indonesia and it wasn't unusual to see the customs officers smoking it while on duty. The theory is that it was inserted into her luggage in Australia by corrupt luggage handlers and should have been taken out at her next stop within Australia without her ever knowing it was there. A domestic drug smuggling operation. Seems the luggage handlers missed her bag and it was sent on to Bali.

The prosecution were trying to have her executed.

There's an article here: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,15419150-2,00.html

The irony is that Abu Bakar Bashir, who was convicted of killing 186 people in the Bali bombings was sentenced to 4.5 days per victim (and only served about 2 days per victim - effectively 1 year for killing 186 people)..

theparrot

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
octobus said:
War on Drugs = insanity

As with most things, the government picks its doublespeak wisely.

Since wars are not fought against things, but rather people, the war on drugs is nothing less then a war the government has decleared against its citizens. Abuse of anything is a problem, and people who abuse drugs need help, not war declared on them. It is another sign that charity and compassion are best not attempted through law as they always mutate into something far from good.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this is definately a case that should bring fear into anyone traveling to indonesia, the world should boycot travel there, the baggage handlers in australia confessed to routinely putting drugs in passangers luggage while they were unaware, if it hits there pocketbook they might reconsider her sentence

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Beachie said:
I spent time in Indonesia and it wasn't unusual to see the customs officers smoking it while on duty.
This is a VERY SERIOUS accusation: government officers smoking pot while on duty? Last time I checked, Indonesia hasn't legalized or decriminalized marijuana yet.

theparrot said:
Abuse of anything is a problem, and people who abuse drugs need help, not war declared on them.
I agree that drug abusers should be treated as patients, but TRAFFICKERS? Almost all countries differentiate between using drugs and selling them. 4.1 kg FAR exceed that line in most jurisdictions. Having said that, I have no comments on whether Schapelle Corby is guilty or not.

mr-x

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
This is a VERY SERIOUS accusation: government officers smoking pot while on duty? Last time I checked, Indonesia hasn't legalized or decriminalized marijuana yet.

I agree that drug abusers should be treated as patients, but TRAFFICKERS? Almost all countries differentiate between using drugs and selling them. 4.1 kg FAR exceed that line in most jurisdictions. Having said that, I have no comments on whether Schapelle Corby is guilty or not.

Your being sarcastic right?

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
well.., 20 years in jail in Bali does'nt sounds very nice for young woman :worried:
..whatever she has done..

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Beachie said:
She was accused of smuggling 4kg of marijuana into Bali - the reality is that it doesn't make much sense to smuggle marijuana into a country where it's freely available and cheap.

The accusation against this woman makes no sense to me whatsoever. To suggest that a person like her would risk death or imprisonment to smuggle a bag of marijuana into Bali from Australia or from anywhere else is completely unbelievable. Even in the most cursory research on Indonesia you can find report that it is a "producer of cannabis largely for domestic use."

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
whats 4KG worth in Bali anyway?
why would someone risk their life for it.
it sounds too suspicious to me.
and 20 years??? come on...
backwards thinking governments, who as i see above sentenced a guy for 2 years for killing over a hundred people!!??

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
www said:
To suggest that a person like her would risk death or imprisonment to smuggle a bag of marijuana into Bali from Australia or from anywhere else is completely unbelievable.
Believe it or not, THOUSANDS (if not more) of people are doing *just that* around the world EVERY SINGLE DAY! Again, I have no comments on individual cases.

firemutt

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
there was hardly enough evidence to prove if she did or didnt do it. that much pot shouldnt require a 20 year jail term. word is that austraulia will do a prisoner swap if her appeal doesnt work. but if she loses her appeal she may get a tougher sentence.. such as death.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
firemutt said:
there was hardly enough evidence to prove if she did or didnt do it. that much pot shouldnt require a 20 year jail term. word is that austraulia will do a prisoner swap if her appeal doesnt work. but if she loses her appeal she may get a tougher sentence.. such as death.

..and then she will die...

seeker

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If she does get the de4th sentence, I see a new war in Asia this time...

Nova

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
Believe it or not, THOUSANDS (if not more) of people are doing *just that* around the world EVERY SINGLE DAY! Again, I have no comments on individual cases.

I most certainly do not believe this utterly unbelievable set up. Everyone knows that drug smuggling occurs in the world, and that is not what the world is being asked to believe in this case.

It's one thing to painstakingly and carefully hide drugs to smuggle into a nation where the drug is relatively hard to obtain and people will pay you a lot of money for it, such as by swallowing balloons filled with cocaine or hiding drugs in your car door; it's quite another thing entirely to place an enormous, gargantuan bag flagrantly in your luggage on a commercial airline flight.

The world is being asked to believe that a person like this with so much to lose, including her very life, would place a bag of absurd size simply in her luggage on a commercial airline, luggage that would be out of her sight, control and supervision, luggage that would be subject to all kinds of unknown handling and activity by unknown persons en route, and then finally be subject to customs inspection in a nation where death and squalid imprisonment is the promised reward for such activity - a nation which itself produces its own cannabis domestically and where it is reportedly already abundant and cheap. What's out of line with this picture and de facto presumption of guilt? Everything.

One might as well claim that she arrived at the airport holding up a large neon sign about it.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
theparrot said:
As with most things, the government picks its doublespeak wisely.

Well said...more doublespeak used to obscure state sanctioned murder:

collateral damage
elimination of undesirables

diverge

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If Indonesia does not agree to a prisoner swap, this would certainly reduce the amount of public sympathy for their recent losses. Certainly they appreciate the amount of support received from other neighboring countries during their recent time of desparate need -- why would they not return in kind?

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nameslave said:
You better believe it. It's quite a common occurence for Indonesian customs officers to plant small quantities of marijuana in tourists luggage, then suggest they pay an "on-the-spot fine" to make the problem go away. That's more than just hearsay - it's happened to a lot of people. I've been to markets in Indonesia (particularly Sumatra) selling live tiger cubs and other endangered animals for medicinal purposes. I have photos if you're interested. "Government" and "Indonesia" are not two words I would usually associate - more like "Organised Anarchy".

There was no doubt that she had the drugs in her possession. For anyone following the case for the last sixth months the real question is, why would she bother when she could just buy the stuff there? Or if you prefer, it was worth considerably more in Australia ($20 per ounce versus $1.50 per ounce - $2800 versus $200 for the 4.1kg), so why take it out? There was another case very recently of 9 Australians smuggling heroin out of Bali into Australia. They've received no sympathy in the media at all. The Schapelle case is quite different.

nameslave said:
Somehow, I doubt thousands of people are smuggling dope from Australia into Bali every day, which is the point at hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom