Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

closed SchoolApps.com (school apps for iphone, android, ipad, etc, etc)

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

john2k

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I originally registered SchoolApps.com around 10 years ago... figured I would eventually build a college applications type website on it to expand out my small network of edu related sites.

Well, I never did build SchoolApps.com into the applications site for college, but something else appears to have happened along the way: the iPhone.

It seems that in the past few years people have become a lot more interested in "school apps." All I can figure is that this is related to applications being available for all the various devices (iphone, ipad, android, etc) as well as even websites (Facebook apps).

Who knows where all this apps stuff will go. There's probably a lot more room for growth in the apps market.

So, in the past year I have received several small offers on the domain. The most recent offer got me to doing a bit more research.

Google Trends pretty much says it all, in my opinion: http://www.google.com/trends?q=school+apps Whereas Google Trends shows virtually zero search volume prior to late 2008, Google Adwords reports that at the current time searches for "school apps" has grown to 49,500 searches per month. Average CPC reported for "school apps" is just under 3 bucks.

My best guess is that the google trends graph which is going up at around 45 degrees over the past 3 years, is due to the many millions of students in the US looking for apps for their devices, etc. Or maybe the millions of educators in the U.S.

Wikipedia reports ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_the_United_States#Statistics ) that there were 76.6 million students enrolled from kindergarten through grad school in the year 2000. Since 2000 U.S. population has grown by around 10%. So that probably puts current kindergarten through grad school enrollment at around 80 to 85 million students in school.

The U.S. Bureau of Labor & Statistics reports that there were 5.2 million educators (kindergarten through postsecondary) in the U.S. during 2008. 3.5 million K-12: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos318.htm#emply and 1.7 million postsecondary: http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos066.htm#emply

Worldwide the numbers are probably in the hundreds of millions.

I've tried to include as much pertinent information as I could. With all that:

Please, for any of you who are knowledgeable in the domain industry, do me a favor and help me from selling myself completely short.

What sort of price should I be expecting for SchoolApps.com? How low is too low to sell this for, in terms of value?

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.

Domain summit 2024

hockey

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Very nice domain. Mid to upper $x,xxx

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know kids would search for music apps and game apps, but I wouldn't think kids would be hungry to find school apps. Are these apps that would help with math, science, and other school subjects? I'm wondering what the people are searching for.

john2k

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
hugegrowth, that's actually a good question. Oddly enough, even though I am probably the most technically knowledgeable person among my family and friends, I do not own a "smart" phone myself and have almost zero experience with looking for or using any "apps" at all.

But since you asked, I went and spent a few minutes on the iPhone app store. The iPhone store claims "over 500,000" apps. They have an education section with a few apps featured which include some sort of school scheduling & studying app, language learning apps (the one I saw was spanish), science apps (about the elements, astronomy, environment, etc), a dictionary app, world atlas and others. The prices for those apps went from as low as $1.99 to as high as $29.99. I guess that would be charged to their phone bills.

hockey

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
< I know kids would search for music apps and game apps, but I wouldn't think kids would be hungry to find school apps. Are these apps that would help with math, science, and other school subjects? I'm wondering what the people are searching for. >

Here is an example of Google Apps For Education

http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/edu/

Maxwell

Formerly known as grcorp.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The kids aren't, but the administrators are.

For the 55 year old councillor/chairperson of a school board (you know, with the large aviator glasses and calls Facebook "the facebook") who still carries an old Motorola filp phone, who finds the concept of riding the technology wave amusing, they'll want to find somewhat of a directory which can optimize learning.

These people control sizeable budgets. So, if a site which explores the educational apps in depth is able to persuade them that certain apps are worth the money, and apps start getting sales as a result of this, you can bet that app makers will pay big money to have their apps featured on a site like this.

Of course, this will take much work. That said, this domain has less value than what I'm raving about as just a domain.

Mid $x,xxx would be my valuation. I honestly can't see it clearing five figures as just a domain.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was searching for "Learning Apps" when looking for apps for my 6 year old. Not sure if I would search for "School apps"...but I bet teachers and home schoolers may.

I may not be the best evaluator on this, but I would say high xxx for reseller. End user of course could be 10+ times that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators