Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Scientology Fascists at it again

Status
Not open for further replies.

draqon

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Mock them using another name:
Scientology lawyers order website devoted to ridiculing Cruise to stop using domain name scienTOMogy.info.

By Scott Martelle, Times Staff Writer

Some things just aren't funny — at least to the Church of Scientology.

A New Zealand-based website that says it is devoted to "exposing Tom Cruise's moronic behavior in his relentless crusade to promote the Church of Scientology" has been ordered by church lawyers to stop using the domain name www.scienTOMogy.info.

The reason: Web surfers might confuse it with the real thing.

The site states that it has no connection with the Church of Scientologists and offers a link to the Scientology home page. Then it post links to a series of videos of Cruise talking about Scientology, including a sci-fi video parody of the actor's infamous May television appearance on "Oprah," in which he appears to electrocute her.

"The site is purely satirical and is for entertainment, and consists of links to other sites — it contains no fact nor claims to do so and is completely non-commercial," the website said.

The creator of the website could not be reached by press time Tuesday. Church of Scientology attorney Helena Kobrin, a partner in Moxon & Kobrin law firm, said the letter was intended to protect the Scientology name.

"You can't use someone else's trademarks to promote your own agenda," Kobrin said, adding that organizations routinely defend the integrity of their trademarks and copyrights. "Changing one letter is the trick of the infringer to try to get around the law, but the law makes it very clear that you can't do that."

The scienTOMogy.info website has posted an exchange with Moxon & Kobrin lawyer Ava M. Paquette, which began in September, in which Paquette warned that the Church of Scientology owns the trademark to the word Scientology.

"The fact that you have changed one letter ('m' instead of 'l') does not protect you from trademark infringement," Paquette wrote before pointing out that infringing on a trademark could lead to a $100,000 fine. Paquette then demanded that the domain name be transferred to the Church of Scientology.

The website responded that it was using the name legally.

The letter isn't the first time Scientology lawyers have claimed that websites had violated its trademark. San Francisco anti-Scientology activist Kristi Wachter received a similar letter from Kobrin four years ago after she registered the domain name www.truthaboutscientology.com.

Wachter said Tuesday that, after an exchange of letters, the Scientology lawyers appeared to drop the issue. But a few weeks ago, she said, her Web host was forced to temporarily remove more than 600 pages from her site after Scientology lawyers accused her of copyright infringement under the Digital Millennium Act. When no formal legal challenge was filed after four weeks, the pages were restored.

"I decided not to spend any further time on it because I decided she was just trying to intimidate me, or distract me," Wachter said.

PapaStiz

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Bunch of kooks if you ask me haha

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While I think they are nuts, and abusing the legal system for their cult.. I don't like the statement "Cant we just unload an ak-47 on these schmucks". It still is a free country, until they break the law - they can do whatever they want, within the boundaries of the law.

Once Cruise and the other celebrities dump this cause, it will lose a lot of its popularity.

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I got this Glock here...not as good as that AK, but it works 16 times really loud & fast and never ever ever jams... :eek:k:

Chris

Ps- J/k!

Let them fight for the name and rights if they want...it's their right to do so!

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
While I think they are nuts, and abusing the legal system for their cult.. I don't like the statement "Cant we just unload an ak-47 on these schmucks". It still is a free country, until they break the law - they can do whatever they want, within the boundaries of the law.

Once Cruise and the other celebrities dump this cause, it will lose a lot of its popularity.

Does murder count? Google L i s a Mc Ph e r s on, she tried to leave the cult and was starved to death tied to a bed in Florida a few years ago as hundreds of these cult members were paraded through her room, to show them what happens to people who try to leave.

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well, take them to court.

Otherwise, it's called lynching.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Jonathan said:
Well, take them to court.

Otherwise, it's called lynching.

They were -- they pulled an OJ and brought in dozens of lawyers who file motion and motion for delay (these people are VERY rich and pay no taxes)and the womans parents were personally attacked and harrassed for trying to take them to court. They're above the law, period.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
(these people are VERY rich and pay no taxes)

So you're saying Ultsearch and Name Administration are scientologists? :-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom