Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Secret appraisal group

Status
Not open for further replies.

abrams1117

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Whoever wants to join an email domain appraisal group email me.
We list domains we are thinking about registering and get the groups appraisal before acquiring the domain.
Drops/snaps/availables, everyone regs mince at one time or another.

One rule ,you can't reg anyone elses domain unless they email everyone that they don't want it. After that its a race to the register of your choice.

-J

M

Mik

What happens when I want to reg a name when it drops and someone emails the group for an appraisal?

abrams1117

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What happens when I want to reg a name when it drops and someone emails the group for an appraisal?
----------------------------------------
If you already have a snap on the name, an no one else does, you would get to go for it.
Otherwise, the first one to list a domain is the only one that can go after it.
I think the good will outweight the bad.
It wouldn't be for everyone.
The group would be based on the honor system.
And I have what I think is a pretty good name to start it off.

-J

If I may respectfully make a comment here...

Why would you want an "appraisal" before you reg a name?

If you're not sure it's worth even the reg fee, that's a pretty good sign that the name has no value.

Miles

abrams1117

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If I may respectfully make a comment here...
Why would you want an "appraisal" before you reg a name?
If you're not sure it's worth even the reg fee, that's a pretty good sign that the name has no value.
Miles
------------------------------------------
Is there a day that goes by when someone posts a domain for appraisal and doesn't get this respone: $0.00
?????????????????????????????????????????????
They had to register it sometime.
If we get a group of only 3, I bet some money could be saved, and some '$0.00' responses,too!
Its a trust issue, if you KNEW that no one in the group would STEAL (8th) your name, you'd sign up, wouldn't you?
Perhaps a respected member could start it, and have a requirement, such as you must be a webmaster.
You don't even have to let me in, just appraise my names!

Theres one I'm interested in, I'll send it to you now, just tell me what you think, even post your appraisal here, of course, without mentioning the domain.

-J

Originally posted by abrams1117
It's a trust issue: if you KNEW that no one in the group would STEAL (8th) your name, you'd sign up, wouldn't you?

No. I really don't see the purpose of having someone give an appraisal prior to registration. If you need a second opinion even before you invest a simple reg fee, don't buy the domain...it's obviously not worth the reg fee.

I wouldn't register a domain unless I felt it had signifcant value. An "appraisal" would never sway me either way. Futhermore, if I came across a domain I wanted to have and it was unregistered, I'd reg that name as fast I could click "purchase" at my favourite registrar, because unregged domains with genuine value usually doesn't stay unregged for too long...there are tens of thousands of other domainers, webmasters and marketing professionals out there on the lookout for a good domain.

It is my sense that most people who are closely involved in this industry feel the same way.

Bottom line, and I say this respecfully: if you can't, on your own, tell whether or not a domain is worth at least the reg fee, then don't register any domains at all. You will only end up losing money, because you haven't yet grasped the fundamentals of domain value...of what characteristics make a domain name a valuable commodity.

Miles

Taking what miles said a step further, wouldn't the email group by definition be populated by people who aren't confident in their own appraisals of their own names - if you can't determine the value of your own domains, how can you value those of other people?

Originally posted by safesys
... - if you can't determine the value of your own domains, how can you value those of other people?

It is easier to criticize other people stuff (no strings attached) than self creation and self assumed masterpiece!

E

EroGenius

Originally posted by safesys
Taking what miles said a step further, wouldn't the email group by definition be populated by people who aren't confident in their own appraisals of their own names - if you can't determine the value of your own domains, how can you value those of other people?

>snf, snf< Smells like... sound advice.

Not to mention trust issues. If someone is unconfident enough about a domain that they waffle and have to wait for e-mail recommendations (and its a GOOD name), they deserve having someone on the list tell their friend to register the domain. Oops, its gone! Hey, and it wasn't me!

Like Miles said, with the amount of domain buyers and registrars out there, there doesn't need to be coincidence for it to be gone after that e-mail goes out. I've had friends swallow that bitter pill. Conversations on the phone that started, "Hey, I saw this domain that I *really* wanted yesterday, and I wanted to ask you about it whether I should get it--" (Noooo!) Friends in the process of registering whimsical names have also been cut by the blades of "Like Thinking".

Even in this forum there seems to be a coyness to what is asked and what is answered. What you want to say, and what you should keep to your self. An honest opinion in so many quarters is a matter of creating a close circle of really good friends.

~ EG

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom