Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

For Sale Secrets of uk drops ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whats the secrets of uk drops ?

Martin Reeves aka ( nametrack.co.uk ) got mp3.co.uk

http://www.whois-search.com/index.php?query=mp3.co.uk

Focus Digital Limited [Tag = FOCUSDIGITAL]

David Thornton got about.co.uk

http://www.whois-search.com/index.php?query=about.co.uk

David Thornton [Tag = THORNTON]

Safesys is a tag holder as well :

Safety Net Systems Limited [Tag = SAFESYS]

So they all are tag holders

is that like RRP - closest you can get to the registry ?

You can become a tag holder here :

http://www.nic.uk/ref/tag-holders.html

"Nominet Tag holders are able to process Domain Name applications through our automated registration system"

how can you work out exactly when a .co.uk will drop ?

http://www.nominet.org.uk/ref/detagged.html

only says "the registration will be suspended after 21 days and then cancelled between 6-8 weeks after that. "

Anyone know any more ?

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd also want to know about this.
I'm watching a domain that has been detagged, with these info.

Registered on: 22-Jun-2000
Last updated: 19-Jul-2002

But haven't released yet for public registration.

davidthornton

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Whois-Search
Whats the secrets of uk drops ?

Anyone know any more ?

Tag holder = cheap domain registration basically.

I'd really like to know how .uk drops work too. I have absolutely no idea about it and think someone who does should reveal everything they know on here, so the clueless (like me) can still get beaten every time to all the best names.

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
But you've got about.co.uk, that's why Whois-Search want you to share your experience.
But you're asking the same. LOL :D

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
*Don't attack each other; personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. We also take politeness very seriously.* - your post has been deleted

revsorg

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by davidthornton

It wasn't actually a dig at you. But since you're brought it up, the way you act on here reminds me of children, from when I was an infant at infant school, that run around the playground and pull their pants down to get attention.

In reality all you succeed in doing is making everyone else think you're even stranger than they already think you are.

Ring any bells? ;)

Whois-Search is increasing my knowledge. I hope he continues contributing to dnforums.

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
*Don't attack each other; personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. We also take politeness very seriously.* - your post has been deleted

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

mattmansfield

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What about people who write a load of rubbish slagging off other members when the topic of discussion is domain names?

If you have a problem with someone discuss it with the person concerned and not with everyone on the board.

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

mattmansfield

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Remember some of us newbies have been around for quite a while. You said it yourself: "the 'clued' don't bother posting on it".

I choose to promote whois-search in my sig because I genuinely believe it's the most useful whois site around at the moment.

Matt (definately not Andy...)

RegNames.co.uk

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

It would be nice to remember that "DNForum" was set up to discuss Domains and not for abusing eachother, Were all here to find out useful tips/tricks so just take time out and listen to eachother, it's better to work with someone, than against!

Now was there an original question which needed answering before this out burst happened, cos I'd be interested to find out the answer?

Barry

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
if you became a tag holder http://www.nic.uk/ref/tag-holders.html

then used a script every few minutes to try and register it - while it was supended with this whois :

http://www.whois-search.com/index.php?query=amy.co.uk

Would it work ?

Also .........

avs.co.uk was caught by the same people that own www.detagged.co.uk

maybe you could try their SnatchBack!

http://www.detagged.co.uk/news.htm

"We can confirm that Nominet have now considerably speeded up the deletion process and there are rumours originating from some of our contacts at Oxford that there is set to be a series of massive drop scripts running in the New Year. We will keep you posted!"

davidthornton

Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by Whois-Search
if you became a tag holder http://www.nic.uk/ref/tag-holders.html

then used a script every few minutes to try and register it - while it was supended with this whois :

http://www.whois-search.com/index.php?query=amy.co.uk

Would it work ?

You could try that; but expect to get your IP addresses, email addresses and then your tag blocked and than banned pretty quickly. Nominet frequently ban people for doing this.

Also .........

avs.co.uk was caught by the same people that own www.detagged.co.uk

maybe you could try their SnatchBack

http://www.detagged.co.uk/news.htm

"We can confirm that Nominet have now considerably speeded up the deletion process and there are rumours originating from some of our contacts at Oxford that there is set to be a series of massive drop scripts running in the New Year. We will keep you posted!"

You can look up 'DETAGGED' on this site, by doing a search on that username. Ensure you read everything in full before you do, since it will allow you to get a complete picture of how the operate.

They've got a few nice names, especially recently. Much of this is, in reality, quite possibly due to the fact that nobody else that wanted to bother registering them.

All bar a few of the names they list on that page are shite. :) I wouldn't have registered most of them. This isn't .com! ;)

I knew about streamline, bandwidth, caspian, the three letters and a couple of the others. I am also aware of a couple of other names that they have also recently registered. As I said; This isn't .com! so they appeal to me significantly less than others might think.

Notice that they say that this "is a small fraction of the names that we have recently SnatchBacked in the past few weeks". If that were the case, you'd think they'd spend a few minutes and only post the good ones (or were there no others in reality, or were the bulk of them not worth registering at all?).

Take bandwidth.co.uk and imagine you got it. Then what? It's probably got negligable traffic and unless you've got money to throw at developing a good idea with it, it's not going to automatically make you money. Also, do you really think you're going to get a slew of buyers breaking down you door for it? I encourage you to archive that list of names, return in six months and see how many have been sold to people making use of them.

If this were bandwidth.com, you'd probably be able to sell it for 4-5 figures without development as a factor. Since it's bandwidth.co.uk you're probably looking for a UK company involved in that area with money to burn. The trouble is, most of them already have domain names and if they're going to spend out; most also only want .com.

TurNIC.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
*Don't attack each other; personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. We also take politeness very seriously.* - deleted

Here is my insider info for you and it is real:

Once the name is in the detagged status (meaning there is no ISP on the whois info) it is up to Nominet whether contact or not contact the owner of the domain. Nominet can not drop detagged names if the owner says no. Nominet contact the detagged domain owners if there is an insider (drop catcher) who wants a name. These insiders have direct contacts in nominet. So they determine which name is gonna suspend. After suspension in 10 weeks nominet drops the name and the insider gets it for its customer.

SAF

revsorg

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by davidthornton
They've got a few nice names, especially recently. Much of this is, in reality, quite possibly due to the fact that nobody else that wanted to bother registering them.

All bar a few of the names they list on that page are shite. :) I wouldn't have registered most of them. This isn't .com! ;)

I checked the availability of the 33 names they list on their site with other domain extensions - one is still available as a .com (constructively.com) 11 are available as .net and 21 as .org.

There are a couple of factors here:
- maybe a .co.uk would be more marketable within the UK.
- detagged.co.uk got the names, and noone else did, and it's harder to catch a .co.uk on the drop (in some respects) than it is to catch a .com (actually, the more I think about this comment, the more weaker I think it is, but I'll say it anyway...)

This has probably occurred to everyone, and I'm just slow in realising, but one of the factors that makes .com addresses marketable is the residual traffic after they drop. The long and unpredictable detagging > suspended process means that by the time a .co.uk comes up to be reregistered all the residual traffic will be long gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom