Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Sedo Auctions – When to Push It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetRico

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Question:
Do you go ahead and push a name to auction with a minimal opening bid and rely on the Sedo “marketplace” to reach your expected value?

For sake of this discussion, let’s assume the following:
• Domain names where the seller’s expectations lay in the mid $xxx to mid $xxxx range.
• Seller is motivated (i.e. - not necessarily waiting for an end-user buy, trimming portfolio, etc.)
• No proxy/shill bidding in the mix

Some related questions that come to mind:
• How much do Sedo auctions reflect true market value?
• What percentage of Sedo auction buyers are resellers as opposed to end users … 80%, 90%, 100%?
• Is a 7-day auction enough time to reach fair market value, if "fair market value" is in fact even possible on Sedo?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Question:
Do you go ahead and push a name to auction with a minimal opening bid and rely on the Sedo “marketplace” to reach your expected value?

For sake of this discussion, let’s assume the following:
• Domain names where the seller’s expectations lay in the mid $xxx to mid $xxxx range.
• Seller is motivated (i.e. - not necessarily waiting for an end-user buy, trimming portfolio, etc.)
• No proxy/shill bidding in the mix

Some related questions that come to mind:
• How much do Sedo auctions reflect true market value?
• What percentage of Sedo auction buyers are resellers as opposed to end users … 80%, 90%, 100%?
• Is a 7-day auction enough time to reach fair market value, if "fair market value" is in fact even possible on Sedo?

A. i would say no...this is mostly done for names where the coa (cost of acquisition) was below the minimum bid or the name will expire soon and you plan on dropping it. desperation may also play a part in this too.

B. depending on how many bidders for your domain and the quality of your name, the end price may reflect market value for today.
but is today's sale price what the domain is really worth?

C. i would say that 75% or more are resellers, but within that group there are also many resellers who are also end-users.

there are also resellers in that group who are willing to pay more than forum pricing or would rather spend the extra money to buy thru sedo than dealing one-on-one with some sellers.

D. seven days may be enough or may not be...depends on who's following and how much publicity the domain has going. refer back to answer B.

imo...

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom