Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Sedo brokers making bids?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
When was Sedo established? Apparently the domain Sedo.com was taken over by Sedo in early 2004. Was Sedo using the .de before this?

I've had two offers for ultra premium domains in the past few days. Both are from German "buyers" who registered at Sedo in 2003 and 2001 and have no buyer activity.

Is Sedo using old broker accounts to fish for price ranges? It should be noted that one of these domains is not parked at Sedo and has a 6 figure potential.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am not sure of the broker thing, but I raised this question about Sedo employees (which are brokers) bidding.

I had a bidder bid on in the last 6 hours, won by that bidder, then the auction canceled and all bids erased in less than 24 hours.

Never has Sedo moved this fast.

Two more auctions I have confirmation that the winners are from Germany.

One auction has been paid for and I do know that he is German and living in Germany, not a Sedo employee. I have had several contacts with him as well as previous sales.

All in all, three auctions in February and only one paid for.

S

SedoCoUk

When was Sedo established? Apparently the domain Sedo.com was taken over by Sedo in early 2004. Was Sedo using the .de before this?

I've had two offers for ultra premium domains in the past few days. Both are from German "buyers" who registered at Sedo in 2003 and 2001 and have no buyer activity.

Is Sedo using old broker accounts to fish for price ranges? It should be noted that one of these domains is not parked at Sedo and has a 6 figure potential.

Hello Acro,

I sent you a PM.

Lisa

BobDiGiTaL

Domain Lover
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey Lisa,
Why not respond publicly? you aren't hiding anything, are you?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
The PM was to ask for the domains in question.

dn-101

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
SEDO is a German company, but it's doing it's best to hide this fact in the US & Europe. The extent of this effort is unprecedented. It compares well with Bernie Madoff's efforts in hiding his investment methods.

They bought sedo.com from an American simpleton Mr. Sedo for $80,000, probably around 2002. :smilewinkgrin:

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Well, one German bidder is "registered" in 2001 so I'd like to see who's behind this.

oppo

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
my account is from 2000, and no, i didnt get any fruit baskets from sedo as well for beeing a member since 2000:)

mediaadvantages

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I had a similar situation happen with a premium .mobi domain. With 8 minutes left I was the high bidder at $100. Someone bid me up to extend the auction 8 straight times. I finally backed off and let them have it. Fifteen minutes later I got an email from sedo saying congrats, you have won the auction for what my last bid was. I replied back to them saying there was no way in hell I would pay that price now. If they wanted to go back and remove the mysterious bidders previous bids then I would pay the $100 for the domain. They tried to tell me that didn't happen and I refused to pay. I was actually discussing the auction in a domainer chat room when I decided to stop bidding on the auction. So....because of this I have had my ability to bid on sedo taken away even though I have purchased many domains and sold many domains on sedo with no problems whatsoever.

S

SedoCoUk

Hello all,

Let me categorically state that Sedo brokers DO NOT bid on any auctions running on our platform. We recognize that this would severely compromise the integrity of our auction platform and therefore it is strictly forbidden.

@ Acro. The two clients who bid on your domains are indeed based in Germany. I can confirm that one of the bidders has bought around 7 domains with us in the past and has been active since 2001. The second bidder hasn't bought a domain, but has placed previous offers dating back to 2003

@ dn-101 I think it's a tad harsh to compare us to (the aptly named) Bernie Madoff, don't you think? ;-) Sedo was started in Germany and has offices in Cologne, Cambridge, MA and London. We're not trying to hide this, it's on our website: http://www.sedo.com/about/index.php3?tracked=&partnerid=&language=us. As the company was founded in Germany, we do have a lot of German based clients who have had accounts for several years.

@ DocCom - I don't know the specifics, but you can PM me if you like. However if an auction was canceled then it will have been most likely due to some sort of a fake bidder.

@ mediaadvantages -If you PM I can discuss with you why your bidding rights were disabled. I don't believe it would be appropriate on a public forum.

Cheers,

Tom

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@ DocCom - I don't know the specifics, but you can PM me if you like. However if an auction was canceled then it will have been most likely due to some sort of a fake bidder.
Hi, Tom.

Not likely when I was specially told that the bidder "made a mistake" and "retracted his bid".

I have never seen Sedo move so fast.

Felt the breeze all the way down here in North Carolina.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Thanks Tom for looking into this.

Tedgeman

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great response SedoCoUk, hats off to you :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom