Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

SEDO - deceptive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NicholasN

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Anyone else experience this and should I do anything about it?

April 9th, I placed a bid for a 3 character .com domain at sedo for $3000
April 10, bid was accepted. I wire payment immediately.
April 12, The WHOIS info changed from the original owner since 1996 to Sedo. Domain no longer listed for sale.
A few weeks later Sedo told me that they could not get the domain transfered to them yet. (even though the WHOIS showed them)
May 03, Sedo said that the domain was not able to transfer to them and may have been listed fraudulently so they refunded my $3000
May 21, Sedo sells the domain to someone else for $17500!

I have a feeling I've been deceived by sedo because they've seen the real value of the domain and sold it to someone else for much more even though I was the first one to bid, had my offer accepted and paid immediately.

What do you suggest I do about it?
Thanks.

Dave Zan

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
What do you suggest I do about it?

Read Sedo's contract, maybe? From what's stated so far, it appears Sedo has
done everything as agreed upon.

Good luck trying to find out what happened between May 3 and May 21.

dadster

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sure does including scooping up his contracted sale and selling it themselves. Ah to play in the big leagues!

Sorry to hear your story - place a complaint and then mark it up to never again....

All the best,

Frank

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you made an offer and that offer was accepted, it could have been sent to auction. Possibly.

Or a Sedo broker intervened when they saw the hilarity of the sales price and intercepted the name.

Suspicious?

Very.

Just putting up possible scenarios here.

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sedo does a poor job, actually no job, of verifying the authority of folks who advertise domains to have actual control of those domains.

Looking briefly at your scenario, it may be that the advertiser to which YOU were responding was not the owner of the domain, while the actual owner may have proceeded with a sale through SEDO. Your scenario, as posted, does not necessarily imply that your offer and the eventual sale bore any connection to each other.

NicholasN

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
jberryhill,
thanks for your reply. This is exactly what I was told today when I called SEDO. "The listing was posted by someone who was not the owner. It then went to auction"
However, it's just very suspicious that the WHOIS changed to SEDO in just 2 days after I sent payment.
Then, it went to auction just a few days after I was told that they couldn't make the transfer.
Why doesn't sedo sends an email verification to the whois admin before allowing the domain to be listed? Or do they do that now?
The whole thing is suspicious but I live and learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom