Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Sedo domain listing "ownership verification" problem (WhoIs-guard related)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sedo (or anyone else that knows how to solve this),

I submitted one of my domain names for listing on Sedo, and got an email back asking me to verify that I am the owner of the domain, by sending them an e-mail from the address listed as the admin contact in the domain's ownership record.

Nothing new there, were it not that this involves a domain name protected by NameCheap's 'WhoIs Guard'. So the WhoIs info for the domain name does not show my actual email address, but instead an email address similar to "[email protected]", the WhoIs guard email address provided by NameCheap, which is an email address that hides/protects my real email address and forwards any emails sent to it to my real email address (i.e. to the address used when I reg'd the domain but which is not shown in the WhoIs).

So how do I send Sedo a 'verification' email about the domain if I can't send an email from the "the address listed as the admin contact in the domain's ownership record"? Because I can't use the "[email protected]" address for this, since that one is not a 'real' email account I can use to send mail from?

Thanks!
Rob

Jonathan

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd just email them and explain. I've never had this problem before, even though I do have a bunch of names using Whois Guard. I guess Sedo just didn't care to verify these specific names.

I would have to suggest emailing them, and if that fails, changing the email in the whoisguard temporarily to an email that you use.

octobus

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You should be fine with changing the DNS to Sedo's

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yup Octobus is Right as long as the domain is parked on SEDO nameservers it should Auto Verify.. This is a good rule of thumb with all new domains. You could always move them at a later date.

Saying that it may also be possible that the previous owner has had the domain listed with SEDO in the past and therefore SEDO needs to know that you are now the rightful owner.. and yes this would prove difficult if your WHOIS guard is on.

There are 2 Solutions..

One would be to contact SEDO and ask them to send an email to the WhoIS Protected Email Address and request that you reply.

Second would be the most obvious and that would be to remove said Protection until domain is verified.

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll indeed get in touch with Sedo about this.
BTW, I don't want to change the DNS of the name to theirs, because it's of an active site.

Rob

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just easy send email with changed "From:" - change the "from:" to the whoisguard email and after email sent change it back.

Prosperous

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
Just easy send email with changed "From:" - change the "from:" to the whoisguard email and after email sent change it back.
Brilliant! Such a simple and smart solution. Thanks! :)
I still hadn't gotten to contacting Sedo about this, so I just went with your solution. Fingers crossed.

Bless Ya!
Rob

UPDATE: Worked like a charm. :) Thanks again for the simple yet great solution!

hookah

Semi-Netizen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Just enough is to point your domain to Sedo nameservers.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Use Sedo nameserver instead your own server = you do not know, where people comming from, what countries, whats the real html view traffic (you can not rely on Sedo counter) etc.

hookah

Semi-Netizen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
denny007 said:
Use Sedo nameserver instead your own server = you do not know, where people comming from, what countries, whats the real html view traffic (you can not rely on Sedo counter) etc.

Nobody said it is the best option and nobody said it must be changed forever. He has got an ownership problem so one of acceptable solutions is pointing domain to Sedo nameservers to proof ownership (as Sedo advices too). After verification he can change nameservers to his favourite whenever he wants.

denny007

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Oh, didn't get it. Although is a little too much work for my taste. I usually ad into source code of the frame <!--Sedo account: accountname--> and it works fine for me.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think the problem arises when you buy a name that was already parked at Sedo. The DNS is already pointing to sedo and the name is listed in anothers account. You must change WHOIS as they have asked in order to list the name under your account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom