Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Sedo dont let me park dictionary and geo domains for being trademarked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sometimes Sedo gives you the idea thats its not on your side but against you making it difficult to make any money with them.
I usually dont open such topics because I find it very stressful to complain for a company that rarely responds to those complaints but now its the second time in 2 weeks that sedo doesnt let me park a domain for being a trademark.
Well, here are domain name, you can see for yourself that they cant be trademarked:

1. www.Bushido.tv:
Bushido is a Japanese dictionary word used in martial arts, meaning is "Way of the Warrior", is a name in common usage since the late 19th century which is used to describe a uniquely Japanese code of conduct adhered to by samurai since time immemorial, and loosely analogous to Western concepts of chivalry. This code is said to have emphasized virtues such as loyalty, honor, obedience, duty, filial piety, and self-sacrifice.

2. www.Andros.tv:
Andros is a Greek Island and an ancient name as well, how can someone trademark such thing?

I contacted Sedo support for Bushido but I got a insulting reply probably not from a human but from a bot programmed to reply using the same quote of words no matter what support ticket is about.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ususally a trademark is violated by the use of a domain name, not by the domain name itself, unless you're talking about very common well-known trademarks like Coca-Cola, Microsoft or Google.

Trademarks don't equal domain names but it seems Sedo don't understand that.

GeoOwners

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
use a different company...

I don't picture .tv names getting any type-in traffic anyway.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Trademarks don't equal domain names but it seems Sedo don't understand that.
Parking can lead to problems because you don't control the advertising feed, and problematic sponsored links can show up :)

I don't picture .tv names getting any type-in traffic anyway.
Agree. Unless we are talking about solid traffic that is being wasted I wouldn't bother.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Parking can lead to problems because you don't control the advertising feed, and problematic sponsored links can show up :)

Generic words like 'hotel', 'sex' and 'discount' have been trademarked multiple times. Should Sedo ban domains from parking based on those trademarks? If not: where should they draw the line?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Generic words like 'hotel', 'sex' and 'discount' have been trademarked multiple times.
You can't TM these terms alone. On the other hand a name like Andros can definitely be a TM of its own.

mvl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can't TM these terms alone.
Yes you can. It was done for the .eu sunrises, but also on other occasions. I can find 11 registrations for 'Sex' alone at the Benelux trademark office, this registration is an international registration for soaps, perfumes, etc.

This is an international trademark for 'Hotel', I can find at least 10 other trademarks for 'hotel' in the Benelux registry alone.

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
both domains are not blocked by google, so try Namedrive, Bodis or Domainsponsor

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's just like I can TM 'Apple' (generic keyword) for selling computers. The Apple brand has nothing to do with fruits. It has limited scope.
I can't claim exclusive use of the word apple to prevent other people from selling apples.

IMHO.

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I would be dumb if I was looking to park my traffic domains through sedo expecting revenue.
I want to use sedo for their brokerage services they offer while a domain is parked there.

Domains are not secret to the public, I m pasting them below:
www.Andros.tv which is a well known island in Greece and a ancient Greek name at the same time.
www.Bushido.tv which is a japanese dictionary word used in japanese martial arts

Both of those domains show related ads when parked with Bodis, using google feed.

Sedo seems not being able to find a way to work out big and small details that many users have problem establishing a bad reputation around many of us.

S

SedoCoUk

Hi Makis77,

I am sorry to hear that you have been experiencing issues adding these domains into your account. The issue may not be because of a trademark but rather previous improper use of the domain with our marketplace and/or parking program. Feel free to send me a PM with your Sedo username and I can look into the issue further.

Carolyn

JB Lions

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"This is an international trademark for 'Hotel', I can find at least 10 other trademarks for 'hotel' in the Benelux registry alone."

How can 10+ people TM the same word. I can see "(fill in the blank) hotel" being a TM. Or hotels.com, the whole thing, not just hotels but hotels.com. But you're free to register "something you come up with hotels.com" If I wanted to register JBLionsHotels.com, Hotels.com being TM, would have nothing on my domain.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
A lot of corporate names and trademarks make use of ancient Greek words, locations, history, persons, literature and battles and capitalize on the worldwide fame of Greece and the Greek heritage. Those who were quick to assault Greece on the economy should be grateful that Greece does not charge a penny for all that it gave to the world for free.

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A lot of corporate names and trademarks make use of ancient Greek words, locations, history, persons, literature and battles and capitalize on the worldwide fame of Greece and the Greek heritage. Those who were quick to assault Greece on the economy should be grateful that Greece does not charge a penny for all that it gave to the world for free.

Acro this is the stupid thing for me to do, make them understand that words, specially Greek ones, cant be trademarked in general. Its an irony.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Maki, it's not that they can't be trademarked, it's that they do have a legitimate alternate use. Parked.com uses Yahoo feeds; Yahoo is worse than Google in the sense that it tags domains as trademarks using the same flawed logic and blocks their feed from appearing on Parked.com (which then uses alternate, lower paying feeds). I think your best bet is to have your account manager at Sedo tweak the domain per its obvious geodomain use. E.g. Minos.org

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sedo pm'ed me 3 time sin 2 days through dnf.
Two dif rep's send me 1 pm saying typical stuff that I already knew about, then another rep wrote that those domains should be accepted by sedo so I send them related screenshot.
Their reply was an apology for last pm they sent because those domains fall into the tm category.

If you go Andros.tv right now you ll see that bodis using google feed shows related ads.
I cant see any advertiser using keyword Andros for any other reason that the geo use.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Exactly, the feed by Bodis makes sense :) That's why at Sedo I use "Visit Greece" or "Greek Travel" with most of my geodomains related to Greece. If you leave the "Andros" by itself it might produce tm clashing ads.

Makis77

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If only Sedo backend could first let you add a domain, then submit keywords and afterwards apply the tm restrictions.
How can I make sedo read my pm/email for more than 30 seconds that they usually spend before sending me bot replies?

---------- Post added at 02:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:50 AM ----------

Blame Obama.

Is he a rep with Sedo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom