Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Sedo niggles

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else find it frustrating that, when someone who makes an offer on Sedo doesn't respond to the counter-offer, Sedo then constantly sends them reminders to which they either remain silent or else return with the same offer as before?

I only know the reason for a long-delayed counter-offer because every now and again I get an email from Sedo telling me that someone who made an offer several weeks ago has refused to respond to their constant reminders. Whatever about my own feelings, were I one of those who made an offer to which I received a counter-offer I didn't wish to pursue, I would find it very annoying to be harrassed in this manner. Maybe Sedo thinks it's good business, but I find it counter-productive. Surely the potential buyer is quite well able to put a higher counter-offer if he or she wishes without being prompted? And to me it smacks of desperation on the part of the domain owner, which certainly doesn't help in any negotiation.

While I'm grumbling, I may as well add that offers that come through Sedo's MLS Partnership program are also annoying, in that you are unable to accompany your counter-offer with a message that might assist in getting a sale.

I am suffering from a combination of the above complaints today, because this morning I received for the second time a counter-offer for a domain that was first offered for months ago, and each time the amount offered is the exact same, suggesting that my counter-offer hasn't been taken seriously.

domainbartender

Your name server since 2008.
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Most buyers are unaware of Sedo's fees which could explain all the lowball offers. I don't really mind Sedo sending them reminders because I often respond positively to such e-mails as a buyer, but I wish they'd show the buyer how much the seller would get minus their fees.

MAllie

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most buyers are unaware of Sedo's fees which could explain all the lowball offers. I don't really mind Sedo sending them reminders because I often respond positively to such e-mails as a buyer, but I wish they'd show the buyer how much the seller would get minus their fees.

Yes, I'm sure you're right about buyers not being aware of Sedo's fees. That's one of the reasons I like to be able to send a message, to explain that at the price offered I'll only get maybe $15 out of the deal.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's true, Sedo also won't let you cancel an offer until you've countered, so a $60 offer for a $1,000 name may not even get a response from me but with Sedo you must counter or they'll remind you many times and the sales thread will stay open. On other offers (when they offer $80 for a great name and you counter with $800 and the buyer then doesn't respond) I want to leave the thread open in case there's a change of heart on the buyer's side, but it looks like after some time Sedo wants you to close it so they keep reminding you

The MLS offers are something else, since they originate on Afternic, Go Daddy, etc the buyers probably don't know about Sedo's $50 minimum or 20% of sale (whichever is greater) as commission so I normally get lowballs for exactly that ($60) since it's the minimum Sedo will let them offer. But even if my domain is a lousy one I can't sell it for $60 cuz Sedo takes $50, highly irritating. If they charged 10% like GD (or even 15%) I'd probably let it go but they have that absurd minimum of $50 so they'd have to get rid of that too. And you're right, mallie, you cannot counter with a comment attached to the c/o on why you can't sell at the price they offered (often due to Sedo's fees) and you cannot even send it to auction on Sedo either, which I just might if I decided to take some risk

They could also learn from GD that if you decide to send a domain to auction with some offer you got from within Sedo as reserve (non-MLS listings), they should let the auction begin WHEN YOU ACCEPT THAT BASE BID AS RESERVE. But Sedo takes the date/time of the offer as the beginning of your 7-day period to sell, counter or send to auction, so you always have to be on your toes. I once ended up sending a name with a so-so offer as reserve to auction on Sedo with less than 2 days left, I either forgot to ck my mail or was out of town so the first 5 days they gave me were wasted. Had I had the full 7 days GD gives you (a GD auction lasts 7 full days) I would've stood a better chance of getting higher bids

CrumblePie is right also with what she says. Sedo should add a note to MLS offers that the seller won't be able to respond to them with a note and that the item can't be sent to auction with that buyer's offer as reserve. But it's the 20%/$50 minimum that kills most deals imo. No one is more pissed at GD for all they've done to me but I still prefer GD's aftermarket to Sedo's in almost all aspects, the exception is that Sedo's offers are normally higher even if you get fewer of them from Sedo than from GD. I find Afternic not that productive for sales ime, as for SnapNames it'll never be the same they once were...

:yuck:

............. I may as well add that offers that come through Sedo's MLS Partnership program are also annoying, in that you are unable to accompany your counter-offer with a message that might assist in getting a sale..............

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom