Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Sedo Secret Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Out of interest why is the sedo service so secretive?

I am at the stage of transfering a domain name to a buyer but I have no buyer details. Instead I have been asked to transfer the domain to another Registra in my name with no control over the account.

Seems odd.

I have sent emails to sedo to see if this is correct but the response time seems to be greater than one day.

Do sedo work on the weekend?

I am used to the escrow.com service which seems far more open.

Creature.

dolansco

LLL or HELLL
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I suppose it is that Sedo are the sales agent and escrow company in one .. so they eliminate fraud etc by being in control of the transfer ( ie you let them complete the transfer , on their terms )

Escrow.com are purely for escrow purposes , and do not care about the transfer ( as that is not their business ). They release the money when the transfer is complete , or send it back if the transfer is not. They get paid either way ...

Sedo only get paid if the transfer is a success , I suppose.

... Ps .. just my opinion..

Sedo can be very slow , but safe I have found .

webfreak

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am at the stage of transfering a domain name to a buyer but I have no buyer details.
Well, if you did, SEDO would have a chance of losing their commission. ;)

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
dolansco said:
Sedo can be very slow , but safe I have found .

I don't see how it can be safe.

I have recieved an email from a new registra that has nothing to do with sedo. They want my approval to transfer the name to myself having received a request apparently from myself. I did not make any request and I have no control over the new account at the new registra which appears to be using my name.

Seems a shifty way of making straight transfer.

Why doesn't the buyer open a godaddy account. I could push the name over in a second.

Creature.

DNbulk

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi
I already sold a US$ 3K domain via sedo and all went smoothly but timely.

They work as a selling agent and at the same time as an escrow service, what is in my eyes a good think.

As far I remember Sedo first gets control over the domain.
Thats where you are right now.

Once they control the domain at their own registrar, they contact the buyer and tell him that they now have control over the domain and ask him to pay to Sedo for the whole amount.

Once Sedo receives the funds they take their commission out of it, and then transfer the domain to the new owner and release the funds to the seller.

However, I wonder why your receive a request of transfer if you don't know who it is requesting the transfer. I would not permit the transfer without talking to YOUR Sedo transfer agent first. Each transaction has a specific Sedo agent assigend and you should know who this is.

Call Sedo before you allow the transfer to confirm.

hope that helps.

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This is not a 3k domain. It is a 1.5k domain so maybe that makes a difference.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I would not push a domain to an account other than Sedo's. Once Sedo receives it, they are obligated by contract to give you the money. It takes longer, but it's safer. That's how they make their cut of the pie.

Escrow.com is flexible in terms of who pays the fees but there are not perfect. They are, however, very eager to assist with transactions.

I haven't tried Moniker's domain escrow but it is rumored to be the most secure.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree Creature that this seems unusual that the transfer request email identifies the request as "coming" from your name , even if sedo put in the request for the buyer why would they do it in your name and not the buyers name , someone also had to pay for that request a 1 year reg fee.

dolansco

LLL or HELLL
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sedo usually create an account at the purchasers chosen registrar , the domain gets transfered to that account and they easily push it into the purchasers account ( as it is in the same registrar )

BUT , I am in the process of a purchase via sedo and I had to initiate the transfer .. ( thats OK ) but it is coming directly from the sellers registrar account. I think this is an unusual practice for sedo ( I have bought and sold several domains with them ) .... my point being , if I was the seller , I would rather see it go to Sedo first , and then to the buyer (me in this case), as is normal with them.... looks like they have different rules on different days :(

Creature

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So Sedo have let me push the name directly into the Sedo godaddy account. Therefore I am now a happy customer. Thank you Sedo!

dvdrip

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This can't be done in godaddy. Godaddy has a 60 day lock.

Creature said:
So Sedo have let me push the name directly into the Sedo godaddy account. Therefore I am now a happy customer. Thank you Sedo!

S

SedoCoUk

Hello everyone,

I am not a transfer agent with Sedo, but I did get some valuable input from one of our transfer agents and I wanted to share it with all of you.

It is difficult to explain exactly how the process works, because we are dependent on the rules and regulations of the many different registrars and registries. So depending on which registrar you use, the way we approach the transfer will vary.

Ideally we like to work with our customers’ preferences, so if a buyer has chosen a specific registrar we will try and help him or her transfer the domain there.

For security measures ideally we also try and gain control of the domain from the seller before we transfer to the buyer. To enable us to do this, the seller’s registrar must be one where we have a holding account. The registrar must not place charges or restrictions on internal transfers which could restrict or affect the transaction.

Not all registrars allow for internal account changes (internal transfers). In this instance we will instruct the buyer to initiate a transfer from their chosen registrar, known as an “External Transfer”. The seller will receive the transfer request which he/she needs to send to Sedo for verification. Once approved, the domain is then transferred in approx 7-10 days (the actual time is dependent on how long it takes the registrars to process the change).

The transfer request received by a seller can sometimes be confusing depending on the registrar, so we will often ask the seller to change the admin contact email for the domain to [email protected] (our company email address), which ensures that we receive the transfer request from the buyer. We can then verify and approve the request. This does not mean we have control of the domain, as it is still in the seller’s registrar account until the transfer is complete.

It is important to consider which registrar you use if you intend to sell a large number of domains through Sedo. I would recommend using a registrar which allows for internal account changes without restrictions. This means that we can get control of the domain first, increasing the security and also the speed of the transaction.

I understand that the process can be complicated and can also vary. So I would always advise that you contact your Transfer Agent via email or telephone if you need any further assistance.

Kind regards,

Brad
[email protected]

RepCentral

DN Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
And what ever you do (domain sellers and domain buyers) during the domain sale, DO NOT change the name field in the DNS record in order to try and help. If you change the name field then ICANN rules state that the domain cannot transfer for 60 days after the name field has changed. You can change the email contact and just about any other field but not the name field.
I had a domain seller change the name field to reflect my name and the domain is now in "jail" for 60 days (30 days from now). I am sure the owner is mad and wants his/her money but per ICANN rules the register cannot let allow the transfer for 60 days.
I am sure this happens more often than stated here and it really slows down domain tranfers and payment. Ouch!

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
dnengineer said:
And what ever you do (domain sellers and domain buyers) during the domain sale, DO NOT change the name field in the DNS record in order to try and help. If you change the name field then ICANN rules state that the domain cannot transfer for 60 days after the name field has changed. You can change the email contact and just about any other field but not the name field.
I had a domain seller change the name field to reflect my name and the domain is now in "jail" for 60 days (30 days from now). I am sure the owner is mad and wants his/her money but per ICANN rules the register cannot let allow the transfer for 60 days.
I am sure this happens more often than stated here and it really slows down domain tranfers and payment. Ouch!

Spreading misinformation due to ignorance can be dangerous to one's health.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom