Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

SEDO selling domains w/o permission

• Thread starter Deleted member 5660
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SedoCoUk

Hi,

I've sent you a PM so you can let me know the particular domains and I can delete them from our database

Just to let people know, Sedo.com has a zero tolerance policy for fakers and those who list domains that don't belong to them. Though all domains go through an internal verification check before being listed in a user’s account, unfortunately at times, one may slip through the cracks. Listing a domain that does not lawfully belong to someone is a complete violation of Sedo's terms of use.

Therefore if someone who has domains listed at Sedo and then sells them outside our marketplace it is their responsibility to delete them from their account. Of course people sometimes forget to do this, as must be the case in this instance.

I hope this clears things up.

Tom

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
One problem is that Sedo doesn't have a 'bulk delete' feature to remove groups of domains that have been sold/expired. I think this is at least part of the problem.

How long do you think it would take to remove, say, just 500 domains using the new interface? I'm guessing at least a week on a fast connection.

I once sent a list of domains for deletion to Sedo, and they refused because even THEY don't want to have to use their interface. Yikes.

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The other side of the coin though is that I have a number of names I sold that the buyers haven't moved yet and I'm still making money on them.

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No it does not clear things up.

I have sebt notice to SEDO's general counsel that, starting tomorrow, there is a $1000 per day per domain charge for SEDO to list any of my domains for sale. I have attached a portion of the letter below. If you have any questions please have SEDO's General Counsel contact me.

xxxxxxxxxx

I think you are a little unreasonable, its a big database and the user is making the entry, not sedo.., thats similar to a guy on ebay listing your domain for sale, they dont verify that either..just because someone is listing something doesnt mean they have any control of your domain or get any money, you just seem like a troublemaker/crybaby

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
don't be too hard on them bro...you are RIGHT, but I do not believe they had or have any ill intentions..obviously

S

SedoCoUk

Hi Consumers,

I fully and completely understand your position. We are more than happy to work with you, and any other member, to make sure that the online marketplace is free of erroneous listings and has a maintained integrity. As my associate, Tom, said in his previous post, please work with us by sending us a list and we will make sure that your domains are not listed on the marketplace, as soon as possible.

Please keep in mind that Sedo's databases are handling over 6 million domains at this time. As we are not a registrar and are not directly tied to any, we do not have the Whois registry built into our system. Therefore, it is virtually impossible to monitor all domains for ownership. While we do perform checks and we keep an eye out for suspiciously-listed domains, this type of erroneous listing can happen. As is stated in our terms of use for domain sellers, accurate domain listings are the responsibility of our members. Sellers should, but don't always, keep tabs on domains that have expired. Like all other people, sometimes they just forget. We ask that they remove expired listings so as to avoid confusion and the occasional event of a disgruntled owner.

We are quite receptive to complaints of this nature and desire to keep the marketplace up to date. With that said, if you send us an email, we will respond to it in the order it is receive. Every associate in our organization is fielding hundreds of emails each day. I can assure you that we are doing our best to respond in a timely and efficient manner. Note that the standard response time for any customer support via email is usually 48 hours (2 business days).

I encourage you to keep the lines of communication open with us. As I said above, we are more than happy to work with you, as an owner, to clear up any confusions or frustrations you might feel.

Send me a PM if you need anything else. Take care and have a fantastic day!

--Keith

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
3 letter ,coms and UDRP issues? I think thats a "flat out lie" as you would call it right there..as long as you dont own IBM or AOL (and you dont) there are no issues with 3 letter.com..I have many of many and I know that part of the legal issues very well...I can see that you are mad that someone has still the domains in the account as you might have bought it outside the marketplace..but I think you are overreacting a little...nobody is benefitting from a listing that is still there...

domainah

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
3 letter .coms are acronyms and can stand for all kinds of things..and just putting them up for sale is not a violation..the cases you refer to are cases in which people were trying to benefit from another brand by optimizing their parking page or whatever with ads..for example if you owned Mcd.com and you would have Mcdonalds ads on there, that would be bad... but a simple putting up for sale does not constiute a violation..

NURCA

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree this is Sedo's sole responsibility. I too have had this happen in the past. This represents just a small fraction of the gripes I currently have with
this parking service, er Sedo.

Hi Consumers,

I fully and completely understand your position. We are more than happy to work with you, and any other member, to make sure that the online marketplace is free of erroneous listings and has a maintained integrity. As my associate, Tom, said in his previous post, please work with us by sending us a list and we will make sure that your domains are not listed on the marketplace, as soon as possible.

Please keep in mind that Sedo's databases are handling over 6 million domains at this time. As we are not a registrar and are not directly tied to any, we do not have the Whois registry built into our system. Therefore, it is virtually impossible to monitor all domains for ownership. While we do perform checks and we keep an eye out for suspiciously-listed domains, this type of erroneous listing can happen. As is stated in our terms of use for domain sellers, accurate domain listings are the responsibility of our members. Sellers should, but don't always, keep tabs on domains that have expired. Like all other people, sometimes they just forget. We ask that they remove expired listings so as to avoid confusion and the occasional event of a disgruntled owner.

We are quite receptive to complaints of this nature and desire to keep the marketplace up to date. With that said, if you send us an email, we will respond to it in the order it is receive. Every associate in our organization is fielding hundreds of emails each day. I can assure you that we are doing our best to respond in a timely and efficient manner. Note that the standard response time for any customer support via email is usually 48 hours (2 business days).

I encourage you to keep the lines of communication open with us. As I said above, we are more than happy to work with you, as an owner, to clear up any confusions or frustrations you might feel.

Send me a PM if you need anything else. Take care and have a fantastic day!

--Keith

3 letter .coms are acronyms and can stand for all kinds of things..and just putting them up for sale is not a violation..the cases you refer to are cases in which people were trying to benefit from another brand by optimizing their parking page or whatever with ads..for example if you owned Mcd.com and you would have Mcdonalds ads on there, that would be bad... but a simple putting up for sale does not constiute a violation..

Consumers has a point Domainiah.

Bill Roy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think 'Tom' has just dropped a bloomer! He has stated that he requires you to do work (provide a specific list) to correct their (Sedo's) database. I think this was a mistake on Tom's part as he, acting as a Sedo representative, has now stated in writing that the onus is specifically on you to correct their database. (Tom is actually quite a nice chap, but this time I think he is in the wrong.)

You have supplied Sedo with a list of all your domains and pointed out specifically that some are erronously listed for sale on the Sedo database, I would think this is all you would be required to do legally, it is up to Sedo to check their records, and incur all costs associated with such actions.

Just my 2 cents but whatever you do Consumer you must make and keep hardcopies of the all correspondance and especially 'Tom's' PM to you.

S

SedoCoUk

Hi Everyone,

It wasn't copied in the text above but I did reply by email and explain that I had checked a random sample of the list and did not find any that are listed for sale at Sedo.

Unfortunately we do not have a tool which would allow me to just to delete a list of approx 2000 domains. This is something which I think would be beneficial and I will have a meeting with our Tech team to discuss the possibility.

I did mention that it is possible that a few maybe for sale at Sedo however, I am not going to check all 2000 domains owned by someone if I am not finding them in our Database.

If you let me know of any domains that are listed for sale at Sedo when they shouldn't be I will remove them immediately.

Cheers

Tom

Varchar

ArcadeScript.Com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think a potential solution is for sedo to reveal the email address of the seller whenever an offer is made. As a buyers, they can always find the email from whois lookup. This way, it will become the buyer's responsibility to verify that the seller is actually the right owner before wasting anymore time negotiating. Or Sedo can implement this verification check before offer is being sent out.

BostonDomainer

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think too much deal is being made of this. Sedo is the ONLY company I've used to sell my names and 2006 was a very nice year for me. Whether its calling them on the phone or email, they have been most courtious and responsive. I've been through a similar situation before with them for an expensive name I was trying to buy, the sale was accepted then had to be cancelled because the name was no longer with them nor available. I didn't sweat it. They offer a good enough service where I didn't see the point of excalating it. If you want the damn name so bad, check whois and make an offer directly. You're waisting your time here trying to bash a credible company especially when they have done nothing maliciously.

In my opinion, if you didn't like the service first time issue occured- you should have left them. I think all this moaning and groaning is a waist of time and SEDO.com is a fantastice company hence why I use no other!!!

How is what you propose going to help anything Varchar??? So they can lose business when people try to cut corners and sell/buy outside there system? No sense. What about Whois protection huh?

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

It wasn't copied in the text above but I did reply by email and explain that I had checked a random sample of the list and did not find any that are listed for sale at Sedo.

Unfortunately we do not have a tool which would allow me to just to delete a list of approx 2000 domains. This is something which I think would be beneficial and I will have a meeting with our Tech team to discuss the possibility.

I did mention that it is possible that a few maybe for sale at Sedo however, I am not going to check all 2000 domains owned by someone if I am not finding them in our Database.

If you let me know of any domains that are listed for sale at Sedo when they shouldn't be I will remove them immediately.

Cheers

Tom

A simple php array and SQL Query would have that done in a second

file=list.txt

open file and dump in array then select from domains where domain=array(0)

I had an offer on a domain a few weeks back, I accepted, now no contact from SEDO or Buyer in 2 weeks now.

alex75

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

What I see here is a rep not willing to do the job that he have to.

Tom, if you don't like that, maybe you should change job. To work just means this, and some jobs could be boring to do. Not all the jobs are exciting, you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom